what age for first cell phone?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wasilvers said:
... But it still feels too early in life.

I hear ya, I felt the same way about getting our first computer when the kids were in high school. Now we have just as many computers as we have HDTV's.

Not to be rude, and I hope you don't take it wrong, but I would make parenting decisions about my children after discussions with my family, not based on the opinions of people that I know only from an online discussion group. My apologies to all the people here that are offended by my viewpoint.

Hanr3 said:
I hear ya, I felt the same way about getting our first computer when the kids were in high school. Now we have just as many computers as we have HDTV's.

Time and technology marches on. I got my son a used computer from my brother-in-law when he was around six or seven. Remember those Apples with the separate hard drives? My son was in private school at the time and he needed to keep up with the school!

Cell phones are pretty much a necessity these days for many reasons, safety being a major one.

I'm still without an HDTV though, as my Sony Wega just keeps on trucking (and I'm also cheap)!

hossthehermit said:
Not to be rude, and I hope you don't take it wrong, but I would make parenting decisions about my children after discussions with my family, not based on the opinions of people that I know only from an online discussion group. My apologies to all the people here that are offended by my viewpoint.
No offense taken. Everyone has an opinion (even if it is someone else's). While I take your point, I believe that input on any subject has value and should be considered, keeping the source in mind, of course.

Given what I know about my family, basing decisions on the opinions of strangers doesn't seem like a bad option. :wink: :LOL2:

No offense taken. I like to research and this is one way of researching thoughts and ideas on a problem. Same reason I found this website in the first place, researching how to make my boat better. I can't think of everything, and some guys here have made good points that merit consideration.

DocWatson said:
I think most of the guys missed that she already has an "old prepaid" phone and "forgets it half the time". Seems she already has a phone. Just not the one she wants. She has all the phone you need her to have right now.

I'd make a deal with her that if she carries the phone she already has - keeps it charged, turned on and answers it when you call - for 6 months, you will get her a better phone with a limited text plan and see how she does. A cell phone is a responsibility, like a driver's licence, and should come to a kid with certain rules that suit your family. It's one of the first keys we give our kids to our adult world. They should earn the right to have it as well as to keep it.

Not the popular answer, but..... :wink:

A M E N Doc now let her work out her texting time for stuff like cleaning out the car making better grades & beeing ready for school a little earlier. This worked for us and 1 Robert is the head IT guru at a local hospital and finished Eagle scout with Palm #2 is trauma nurse and head of a major ER /pro fire fighter and finished her Gold award with honors # 3 finished his Eagle scout is aw-sum musician who played with Bo Dillie before he passed away he is now in fire collage.
Only the best for her/them

I am 15 years old and received my first phone at age 12. I was going into middle school and would be waiting outside to get picked up, so my parents thought it was necessary for me to have one. I did not have a texting plan until I was 13. I do no think you 11 year old should have a data plan and texting is not really necessary. But if you do not get a texting plan, make sure to tell her not to text because it costs 20 cents per message if you don;t have a plan.

If cell phones were ever banned you'd see protests that would make occupy wall st. look like a church festival. I don't know what women would do without one stuck to their ear. :roll:

6th Grade is when lots of kids get them. 7th grade I would say the majority have them.

To protect yourself, you would want unlimited minutes, and texts, and data on her phone. You don't want a surprise multi-hundred dollar phone bill.

They will work with you almost none, if your child racks up a huge bill, without your knowing.

I've had this discussion a bunch lately with kids of that age. Harrassing my brother for getting my nephew one, etc.

LonLB said:
6th Grade is when lots of kids get them.

X2, we ran into some issues because it seemed every other kid had one except our daughter and she felt left out. It seems silly, but when it's your kid crying......

We gave my daughter a cell this last Christmas, she was 12 but turned 13 in Jan. The main reason we got it is because she is in the school band and she is off on trips with them a good bit. Also some church outings. If it weren't for that she'd be in college before she got one. She can cal and text. We don't let her do internet. Rember you can block or disenable features.

Latest posts