Christmas in October?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomowork

Reaction score
What ever happened to waiting till after Thanksgiving for the Christmas stuff to appear in stores?

Kids are going to be confused. They'll go trick or treating and expect Christmas wrapped gifts! :lol:

I don't remember it ever being after thanksgiving, but I do recall them waiting until like the day after Halloween and then working like madmen to get it set up.

Jdholmes said:
I don't remember it ever being after thanksgiving, but I do recall them waiting until like the day after Halloween and then working like madmen to get it set up.
You'd have to go back to the 60's, maybe the early 70's, to find "the Christmas stuff" staying out of sight until mid-November. Then the big department stores would start decorating to get folks into the "spirit" for Black Friday (the "break even" day/weekend for most large retail operations).

Today they start selling us Christmas right after they stop selling us Halloween because all they can sell us at Thanksgiving is a turkey. :wink:

With fewer people having extra, many of us have to plan far in advance.

I like it. I'm already getting into the christmas mood.

My wife and I have already done the majority of our little boys christmas shopping. Wal-mart is doing their lay-a-way again for the christmas season, but it's only for things from the toys or electronic sections, and each item has to be more than 15 dollars. Pretty crappy, right? If you have a K-mart near you, they do lay-a-way on all items, and if you've put more than 300 dollars worth of merchandise on lay-a-way, you get 12 weeks instead of 8 to pay it off. That's what we did this year, and it's been great. We're able to do more for our son, and it doesn't stress our finances too much. Something to consider.

I was in Lowe's the other day and they already had a separate room filled with Christmas decorations and were piping in Christmas Carols--and this even before Halloween let alone Thanksgiving. My guess is that since the economy has tanked and the Christmas retail season is expected to be dismal, they have to milk it for all it's worth and as soon as possible.

Latest posts