Why Is it?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freetofish

Reaction score
does anybody know why the steering wheel on all boats is on the right hand side when all our cars steering wheel is on the left.....

I could be wrong, but I think is is because you always yield to starboard (right side) so it is for visibility.

Taken from wiki....

Answer
The only credible info I read (online) goes as follows. The prop of boats rotates clockwise so the boat lifts on the right, so putting the steering wheel and the weight of the driver counteracts this lift and thus the boat runs without tilt or much less then if the steering wheel would be on the left.

When two boats are approaching, the boat to the right normally has the right of way. It is easier for the pilot of the boat on the left to see the boat on the right if the pilot is on the right side, On small runabouts, this is usually not a problem, but on larger boats, the view from the left side of the boat to the right may be blocked by boat structure, passengers, etc. Since the boat to the left must change course or speed to avoid the boat on the right, it is important that his visibility be unimpaired.

Read more: https://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_are_steering_wheels_on_the_right_side_of_a_boat#ixzz1c06QjHkQ

In my boating safety class we learned that the reason behind the position of the helm is that boats approaching on a collision course from the starboard side are the "stand on" or "right of way" vessels. The best vantage point from which to watch for vessels with the right of way over you would be from the starboard side of your vessel. That information came from the Coastguardsman giving the class.

Doug

freetofish said:
does anybody know why the steering wheel on all boats is on the right hand side when all our cars steering wheel is on the left.....

All boats are made in Europe and there steering is on the right [-X :---)

Steering wheel is on teh right due to prop rotation. Boating regulations came afterwards and are based on steering wheels on the right side.

I realize this is an old post, but I remember a boating friend of ours that had a boat with the steering wheel on the left, just like a car. Can't remember if it was his thoroughbred or eliminator. Thought it was unique as I have yet to see otherwise.

Latest posts