When to fish?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
I stumbled across this website that I think is pretty cool. Its based on the Maori calender which estimates good times to fish based on lunar phases and positions.

This website has a great layout and feels more interactive. I prefer it over the simple text calender. You can also set up your location and reminders.

https://www.fishingreminder.com/

One question I do have, they talk about tide most of the time. Do you think this calender affects river fishing as much as ocean/lake?

How many plan by the calender?

The only calendar I look at that dictates when I fish is my own. I quit putting any stock in "best days/times". It's all about availability these days. If I can go, I go!

Yea I hear ya on that. Today is supposed to be one of the best days to fish of the month (for this region) Ive visited a river I go to three times and havent caught nothing. After I run an errand I'm going to go out (during the best time) Lets test this a little eh?

I use tide charts when surf or harbor fishing. Usually the incoming tide is the best but have been skunked on those too. Funny thing is that the largest fish (shark) that I caught in the harbor was at low tide!

As Brine mentioned, we usually just go when we have the time available just to get out which is usually anytime in retirement! :mrgreen:

About 70% of the time I fish salt water,mostly bay, some surf and agree a rising tide is best, but have caught a lot on outgoing tides too. The slack time when the waters not moving is when bites are rare on my lines.{so we check the crab traps or rake up a couple dozen oysters}. Also agree with nomowork being retired removes all the excuses for not being fishing !

I always plan to go around the next full moon and I have a fishing Barometer which helps, but I have also found it to not matter if the fish are hungry they bite but just like a fish finder doesn't make them jump in the boat. I go when I can just like to be outside . The more you go the more chance you have to catch some.

Well I went out today and caught a small mouth bass. The last two times I went I didnt catch squat. Fishing from the bank isnt as easy as from a boat....Im learning tho.

There are a ton of factors taht come into play. However the biggest is finding the fish. IF you cant find the fish, your not going to catch anything regardless of what any calendar says.

The best time to go, is when you have time. You have to learn teh fish, where they "should" be at that time of year, time of day, given the environmental factors of the day, and the days leading up to your fishing day.

For example, in the fall before turnover I expect to find Crappie suspended on deep brush outside coves, and if its been windy look for them where the wind has been pushing all the bait fish into. In those conditions, I drop a minnow under a slip bobber.

When the lake turnsover, Crappie will scatter all over the lake looking for a comfortable place until the lake stabilizes again. The best method is trolling, cover a lot of water. Although Crappie will generally be in a negative eating mood and they will be really picky about what they hit. Catching will be horrible at best, even if your standing in teh middle of them.

Know your species, and go after them when you ahve time.

One of the best evenings of fishing I had last year was when it was clear, blue skies, high pressure and it was 110+ degrees outside (Heat index was 121).

Me and a buddy fished for about 1 1/2 hours and caught 6 fish. 4 of them being over 4lbs.

As Hanr3 said, you just have to find the fish.

Hanr3 said:
There are a ton of factors taht come into play. However the biggest is finding the fish. IF you cant find the fish, your not going to catch anything regardless of what any calendar says.

The best time to go, is when you have time. You have to learn teh fish, where they "should" be at that time of year, time of day, given the environmental factors of the day, and the days leading up to your fishing day.

For example, in the fall before turnover I expect to find Crappie suspended on deep brush outside coves, and if its been windy look for them where the wind has been pushing all the bait fish into. In those conditions, I drop a minnow under a slip bobber.

When the lake turnsover, Crappie will scatter all over the lake looking for a comfortable place until the lake stabilizes again. The best method is trolling, cover a lot of water. Although Crappie will generally be in a negative eating mood and they will be really picky about what they hit. Catching will be horrible at best, even if your standing in teh middle of them.

Know your species, and go after them when you ahve time.
I have to agree with you. I learned this yesterday. I fished a few spots and didnt feel anything or bring anything in. This is probably the 6th spot Ive tried, nothing. This is a new river for me. Ive been slowly exploring it. Yesterday I found a spot where bass were just hanging out I was fishing a few hundred yards up. I cast out and reel it right by the family, they dont seem to care. So i switch to a new bait and I got one. I continued to use the power bait...didnt get another set...a few tugs tho. The family just hung out...possibly it wasnt feeding time for them. Being new to fishing, I need to learn all this stuff.

Been to this river 5 times. Once with a boat and the others from shore. Caught 2 the first time with the boat and another 2 on separate days from shore. 2 days I didn't catch anything.

Boat- 2 med. sized smallmouth bass using plastic worms, trolling.

Shore- 1 small crappie using salmon eggs paired with a small plastic grub.
1 small smallmouth bass using brown power bait shaped like a worm.

What would you guys have done in the situation where there is a family of fish right in front of you and you cant seem to get more than one of them?

Im not sure with smallmouth on a river. When I'm sight fishing for largemouth in a lake...go small and light. I'll use an ultra light rod with 4lb test line paired with a 1/16th oz jig.

Boy, Here in St. Louis the tides come in and go out.... If you don't believe me look at the World Series games won....Looks like I may have to move my lawn chair farther up on the beach..........

aeviaanah said:
What would you guys have done in the situation where there is a family of fish right in front of you and you cant seem to get more than one of them?

Be glad you got one!

I do mostly trout fishing in fresh water and very little bass. I've had days when the trout would just swim by my bait. I've had others where the lure would actually graze their skin and they didn't seem to care. I think they were either full or had other things on their minds! :shock: :D :roll:

freetofish said:
Boy, Here in St. Louis the tides come in and go out.... If you don't believe me look at the World Series games won....Looks like I may have to move my lawn chair farther up on the beach..........
Lol....??
nomowork said:
aeviaanah said:

Be glad you got one!

I do mostly trout fishing in fresh water and very little bass. I've had days when the trout would just swim by my bait. I've had others where the lure would actually graze their skin and they didn't seem to care. I think they were either full or had other things on their minds! :shock: :D :roll:
I am glad, I turned that SOB into bass jerky....a little liquid smoke, some soy sauce and worcestershire. Was a small snack but tasty. I am practicing my fillet skills.
baseball_guy_99 said:
Im not sure with smallmouth on a river. When I'm sight fishing for largemouth in a lake...go small and light. I'll use an ultra light rod with 4lb test line paired with a 1/16th oz jig.
Sounds good. Ill be sure to try that out some time.

I joined that site the other day after learning about it on here. Like others, I usually go by the tide, but sometimes look at the moon too. I like the fishing diary on that site. You can upload a pic, mark the location, bait, etc. , and leave yourself comments to refer back to at a later date like maybe next year.

MOE said:
I joined that site the other day after learning about it on here. Like others, I usually go by the tide, but sometimes look at the moon too. I like the fishing diary on that site. You can upload a pic, mark the location, bait, etc. , and leave yourself comments to refer back to at a later date like maybe next year.
Hey whats going on? I wasn't sure what you were talking about so I went and took a look. I just added 4 entry's...thanks for letting me know about this. Supposed to be a good day to go today, ill be leaving here in a few minutes.

Latest posts