Wood burning\fire wood

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lbursell said:
The only place I burn wood is in the smoker, but for here's some inspiration for your woodpiles next year....

https://i.imgur.com/8tyGp.png 8)

Larry

I have seen that befor, pretty neat. Well its official I shut it down to early, Its snowing cold and windy.

Jim said:
Pruitt1222 said:
So tonight I officially shut down the wood farnace and turned the water heater on and the furnace up. My official tally of wood burnt is 4 cord and 3 ricks. Didn't run the insert as much as I have in previous years, mostly just the furnace. I would say this winter has been much warmer then the past few regardless of all the snow we got.

Wow interesting!

We just ran out of wood last Sunday. We Burned through 7 trees that we had cut down last spring & my father supplied me with 3-4 truck loads of scrap oak, cherry, and Mahogany from his buddies wood shop. This winter was long and cold. I can hear the furnace kicking on now.....I am not looking forward to next months gas bill.
Wow, what size of trees cord wise? I am wondering if the snow on the roof had anything to do with our low burn tally compaired to most years previous. I assume only running the wood furnace over both the furnace and wood insert also had a cord or better to do with also. We ran that insert a lot befor our 2 year old started venturing around the house like a free range cow.

cornbread said:
We also have a fireplace insert Regency I-2400.we love it.
https://www.regency-fire.com/Products/Wood/Wood-Inserts/I2400.aspx

The wife and I remodeled our favorite room in our house several years ago we installed a large TV, new carpet and a wood bearing insert. This was a retirement present for me and a treat for my wife.

One of the things we wonted to do was to make our self a little more self reliant that is something everyone should do but that is another story my Jon boat is a part of that thanking.

Anyway we lowered our $200.00 to $300.00 natural gas bill in the winter to the mem. charge of $8.50.

We also love getting out in the woods cutting and splitting our firewood. I have been cutting our fire wood since 2003 and to date I have not cut one live tree that was not going to the dump for storm damage of some kind all my wood has been dead stand or dyeing trees. I like it that way we all love nature don’t we are fishing men and lades aren’t we.

Like I said the wife and love cutting our wood and do it together most of the time. Yes it does take dedication for sure.

We use our savings for diesel fuel for pulling our camper and going fishing.

Do everything you can to be more self reliant you owe it to you family’s.

Just a little up date.

My sister lives across the street from me and her home is a little larger than mine we booth have natural gas the month of February her heating bill was $368.00 and mine was $8.75 (the mime charge) I love my wood heater.

More money for fishing and hunting.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.

When the people find they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic............"
Ben Franklin

5 cords so far, I don't shut down cause im 100% wood heat, NO FURNANCE.

At this point I heat over not only, unless we get a cold snap.

Wood heat is great but I don't share the same enthusiasm most of you have. We have three wood burners to keep warm and it is a lot of work. I get tired of the mess and I almost feel bad watching my wife lugging wood up to the house. :lol: We have one in the basement...quad level house with no outside access. Carry wood through the house and mess back up. One in the family room and one in the garage. Pole barn is not finished but seriously considering a lp furnace out there. Been here for 12 years and now I just lay pallets on the ground and have piles of wood after I split it. Too lazy to stack it anymore. I fortunately get the majority of the wood for free. We have a tree crew that keeps the lines clear at work.

My in-laws burn about 15 rank a year, maybe 7 cords, depending on how people measure. Their home is about 2600 square feet and they keep the house very warm.

I use electric and have a gas fire place. I will spend a couple hundred dollars or more year but my father in law cuts wood every weekend for part of the spring and almost every weekend in the fall (excluding deer season).

By the time you figure in time, gas for the saw and wood truck, maintenance on the saw and wood truck, lost days because of a bad back (he has been doing this all his life and close top 60 now) you could work half the time or less at Wal-Mart and come out ahead just buying having electric heat or buying wood.

Wood is about $35 a rank or about $70 dollars a cord.

Out my way it is not worth it to cut wood, unless you just enjoy doing it.

I have a little chainsaw with a 14 inch bar and cut small wood or wood on the ground (I live on 24 acres, much of it wooded) for camp fires but I am not about to give up my weekends to save a few bucks.

I believe you need to recheck some of your information.

Around Alabama it would be hard to find a cord of good fire wood for less than $200.00.

If I was not heating with my wood heater my natural gas bill in the winter would me uppers of $300.00 a month.

I am over 60 and I love getting out cutting and splitting my wood I split all my wood with an ax a 10 pound sledge.

I also like getting out and going fishing also and seem to find time for booth.

It also fell that I and my wife are just a little bet more self-reliant than most and we like it that way also.

I also will have heat when the power is out.

To each his own.

Good day and good fishing.

Cornbread

cornbread said:
I believe you need to recheck some of your information.

Around Alabama it would be hard to find a cord of good fire wood for less than $200.00.

If I was not heating with my wood heater my natural gas bill in the winter would me uppers of $300.00 a month.

I am over 60 and I love getting out cutting and splitting my wood I split all my wood with an ax a 10 pound sledge.

I also like getting out and going fishing also and seem to find time for booth.

It also fell that I and my wife are just a little bet more self-reliant than most and we like it that way also.

I also will have heat when the power is out.

To each his own.

Good day and good fishing.

Cornbread

Here is a cord deliverd for $140.00

https://shopping.rollanet.org/category/399/Seasonal/listings/754102/Oak-Firewood-For-Sale.html

This is in the big town of Rolla, get out to the country and it is less. You will ahve to load and stack it yourself. You will be surprised how hard some will work for money out my way. Seventy dollars may be hard to find but I have seen it. Allot will depend on who’s measuring it.

You can help yourself to all the wood you want at my place, no charge. You will find allot of farmers will offer the same. You just have to cut it and take away the tops. Leave the stump high enough for a bull dozer to push over.

I have a vent less fire place that will heat my living room, kitchen and dining room. I keep that part of the house about 74 deg. LP cost under two dollars a gallon last summer, I will use about 100 gallons. The rest of my heat is electric. The rest of my house about 68-70 deg.
The electric bill gets close to $250 during the winter.

I have six inch walls double pain window etc. My home is about 3100 sq feet but very efficient. I live out in the country, we have no gas lines running to us.

My father in law has had open heart surgery, his health isn't that good. Cutting wood is going to kill him. He wants to die in the woods anyway.

Being a welder, I built a fireplace insert. It's made from 1/4" thick steel plate, and has a 1/4" thick steel door on barrel hinges, with a sliding steel "window" that's about 6 inches by 12 inches. Having the steel door open, it works like a regular fireplace, although, with a flat inside top surface, instead of a steep pitch like the fireplace, (I had to make it to dimensions where it would fit inside the existing fireplace) it tends to smoke if you overload it. But if you shut the heavy steel door, it works like a wood stove/heater, as that 1/4" plate starts to heat up, it radiates a LOT of heat.

I probably burn about 1-2 truckloads on an average winter, and double that if we have a really cold winter like last year. I have central heat and air, but I always enjoy burning a fire in the winter time.

whats a heater ? and whats this thing you call winter ? we dont do these things here in fl. lol. But I wish there was a better way to keep cool in the summer because my electric bill ranges from 250 to 350 a month. But we just got a new A/C so its been going down..

Latest posts