Photo Contest Thoughts

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fender66

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals...wanted to let you know that I'll be taking over the photo contests this coming year. Thanks goes out to WaterWings for all his dedication to these contests over the years.

I know it's a down time of year for most of us, so let's start thinking up some new ideas for the photo contest themes for next year.

Post your ideas here and let's see what we can come up with. Remember.....topics should be broad enough to include all our members.

I was thinking a calender. Users could post photos. 12 winners by vote. The 12 photos would represent each month of the year with a common theme...something like "this ol' tinny"

furry friends (they pose)
feathered friends (never really posing)
moon shots (hard to shoot and get right)
abstract (explore your camera's abilities)

Edit: Almost forgot the all important category of "FOOD" I'm thinking BBQ, but it could be anything :)

Good ideas guys. Not sure how we could do a calendar for a monthly calendar....but I do see what you are thinking. I'll give it some thoughts.

fender66 said:
Good ideas guys. Not sure how we could do a calendar for a monthly calendar....but I do see what you are thinking. I'll give it some thoughts.
Set up a thread or email where users send photos. Admin or mod could filter through them....get 10 photos per month. Set up a vote for each month.

Another idea would be for each month to have a photo contest have users vote on the winner. Each months winner would earn that respective month for the calender...possibly a free calender as well. Make the project last all year and the following year the calenders would be ready. There are many places online that could print them.

fender66 said:
There are many places online that could print them.

Who pays for them to be printed?
We would have to sell enough to pay for it... The winner would get a photo in the calender which may lead that person to buying one. Before going on see how many people are interested. Ill chip in.

You'd just need to get people to sign up for one before you get them done. The price will vary with demand. I saw $6 to $20 online. Of course, the $20 was really nice :)

Yes....we will, but in the last year or so, we didn't have one in January or February because there isn't much participation...if I remember correctly. I was planning on starting in Feb or March again.

Feel free to throw out any "Theme" ideas you might have. They might just be used this year.

I've been involved with a couple of sites that have photo contests. Always seemed to me that the contests were too "specific". Heck, I'd be happy with....for one or more months....just .....POST YOUR BEST SHOT IN THE LAST 30 DAYS.....

Whatever comes out, comes out. I've taken many thousands of shots over the last five or ten years.... when I got serious again with photography.

I can think of THREE of them that were "REALLY GOOD". The rest were OK...or maybe good or maybe bad....but not REALLY GOOD.

Just my humble opinion....

regards, R

2012 Photo contests will be starting up again in March. Gentlemen....start your cameras! (if you've put them away for the winter).

I'm hopeful to have some new ideas for "themes" that will include and encourage more people to enter. This doesn't mean that you can't send me any "theme" ideas that you might have. All things are subject to change....just because. :LOL2:

Hope you guys are excited about getting started this year.

I will be making a run to BPS or Cabellas soon to buy some prizes for the winners. If you have something that you'd like to donate as a prize....send me a PM and we'll work out the details.

Latest posts