High and dry on LOW TIDE, no fish there!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty.hook

Reaction score
High and dry on LOW TIDE, no fish there!
On my other fishing forum, these three guys were very late getting to the bay this morning when they ran out of water. Must have started running in the dark and caught a low tide. Had to wait till water came back so they could float and go. Not fun at all. No report on what they caught later. Moral to this story, check the TIDES REPORT!!!!

Attachments

• Oh_Well what the hell.jpg
    Oh_Well what the hell.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 242
A buddy of mine and his brother went to Charleston last week on a guided trip and got left High and dry on LOW TIDE. They spent 3 hours setting and waiting there. The guide told them to skip the charge for his service.

They did catch a couple reds in the 5 lb range and had fun.

What would that do to motor if went down like that into mud? Be it would not be any good for it.
It it a constant depth couldn't they notice how shallow it was getting on the depth finder?
How fast do tides go down?

Wallijig said:
What would that do to motor if went down like that into mud? Be it would not be any good for it.
It it a constant depth couldn't they notice how shallow it was getting on the depth finder?
How fast do tides go down?

Tides go up and down twice each day - depending on the location they might change the water level as much as 12 feet. Around my way the tide swing is 4-7 feet depending on moon, wind and location

As far the motor in the mud - so long as they shut it down and did not hit anything solid (like an big rock) the worst that happens usually is you wear your impeller out.

Now you need to clear the mud or you may overheat

Not a big deal in a little boat

I cam through the OC Maryland inlet one foggy morning and there were two 40' plus sportfishers high and dry - they went port instead of starboard at the channel marker :oops:

when I got my first tournament boat i never checked the tide chart
so i was running through a tidal marsh at low tide and wound up stuck for over 3 hours
when i did get loose i was 1/2 hour late for the weigh in i had 12 lbs and a 4 lb kicker
i would have won and had big fish.
learned a lesson the hard way I always check the chart now

Somemore stories I had heard here on the Texas Gulf Coast was three guys were out and the tide went out and they had to spend most of the night in a mosquito filled marsh. Now that's not fun at all. Later that night an air boat pulled them out into the water so they could load up and go home. It happens down here all the time, so it's nothing new. I just thought I would post the pic so some of the Northern members could see some of the problems we go thru down South.
Most of those "scooter boats can run in what we call "skinny water' approx 3" to 6" deep!! The motor is almost out of the water. See pics of 3 below
Another pic is some of the places we fish. At the top of the red line is where the boat ramp is and it is a real trip to get out the Trinity bay and not get lost or shallowed out. Trinity Bay goes all the way to Galveston.
WATCH THE TIDES, LOL

Attachments

• 15' BayMaster Scooter2.jpg
    15' BayMaster Scooter2.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 215
  • Dargel Skooter Rebuild2.jpg
    Dargel Skooter Rebuild2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 215
  • Mowdy S-10.jpg
    Mowdy S-10.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 215
  • Hugo Point Ramp.jpg