14' Flat Bottom Sketchup Model

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

base_v5

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have been reading this site for a year contemplating my future boat mod. The time has finally come as I purchased a 2005, 1448 Lowe flat bottom boat with a 25XD Mercury motor a few months ago. I have already stocked up on a new fish finder, trolling motor, batteries, and some aluminum for the mods. I am ready to go!

Thanks to all the people here that have given me tons of good information on what to do and how to do it. I am also taking a welding class where I will hopefully learn to weld aluminum (might come in handy 8) ).

Anyway, I don't know if anyone here uses Google Sketchup, but it is an awesome program for building things before you build things. I couldn't find any really good models to use, so I made my own. I am offering it here and if anyone is able to use it, please do.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=dcd17bd79acb60f3ac8108ca15b709b
* I have updated the link to the model

2r7Vq.jpg

*edit-added thumbnail of model

If you have any questions, let me know. I'm off to get some lights for my new tin boat!

base_v5 said:
Hey guys,

I have been reading this site for a year contemplating my future boat mod. The time has finally come as I purchased a 2005, 1448 Lowe flat bottom boat with a 25XD Mercury motor a few months ago. I have already stocked up on a new fish finder, trolling motor, batteries, and some aluminum for the mods. I am ready to go!

Thanks to all the people here that have given me tons of good information on what to do and how to do it. I am also taking a welding class where I will hopefully learn to weld aluminum (might come in handy 8) ).

Anyway, I don't know if anyone here uses Google Sketchup, but it is an awesome program for building things before you build things. I couldn't find any really good models to use, so I made my own. I am offering it here and if anyone is able to use it, please do.

https://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=dcd17bd79acb60f3ac8108ca15b709b

If you have any questions, let me know. I'm off to get some lights for my new tin boat!

Welcome to the boards!! :lol: :lol:

I'm sure people would LOVE to use the google sketch-up model of your boat. I tried making one for my v-hull... got about 3 hours in and it looked like a bowl... So I got frustrated and decided MS Paint was where its at for my model LOL. There is nothing better for mocking up a boat then Google Sketch-up though, for sure. :)

Welcome to the site. I've never played with the program, but I just may after seeing your model.

Thanks

Brine said:
Welcome to the site. I've never played with the program, but I just may after seeing your model.

Thanks

Its a neat program, but unless your at least mildly tech savvy, it can take a while to learn it. Its like a watered down version of AutoCAD software but no where near as complex. I have yet to master it myself... Still a neat program, and you can do some complex things with it--but it is frustrating at times when you know what you want it to do--but cant figure out how to make it happen.

Awesome, why didn't I think of that. Might try making a model of my boat sometime if I feel like it. Not planning on any big mods though, so I may not need it. Might just make it for fun.

Thank you for making and sharing the model. Like many others, I have Sketchup on my computer and I still haven't learned how to run it for a project like this.

How's about doing a long thread on Sketchup for Boating and explaining, in REALLY SIMPLE TERMS...how to modify your model? Maybe make it a foot longer, or something that might be easy for old, but active, minds to follow?

We'd all be in your debt.

Thanks again, R

Great job. I love sketch up - I have used it for a few models and even home renovations. It is probably the easiest to use 3D software available and you can't beat free!

Thanks for all the kind words. Glad you enjoy the model.

I have to say that this project wasn't easy and I spent more time on it than I should have.

As bigkat has said, Sketchup is easy to learn and difficult to master. You can start building woodworking and house projects quickly. Things with right angles and simple curves can be made pretty easily. I quickly found that the problem with building boats is that EVERYTHING is curved. This is definitely where the frustration sets in. I had some free time along with bad weather and finally just forced myself to figure out how to do it.

I have another model I made of a motor stand. I believe I got the plans off the iboats forum and gave it some minor changes.

Here is the model:
https://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=957273c78897ba5e7af9f8253d7ae326

And picture of the stand after building it
RtiN8.jpg

If you have some questions about Sketchup, just ask. I will try my best to help you out or point you in the right direction.

Hey thanks for the link. I have an older AutoCAD I use for work. It from 2000 if I remember right. Its powerfull enough but I am still learning. I'm downloading the one you used just to compair a little. Ihave to run the AutoCAD in a virtual machine on this computer because its so old. So if I like Sketch up it may be nice for stuff I am doing for myself....

JasonLester said:
Wow I am impressed with the program so far. I just have had a few minutes playing with it and so far like it.

It is an awesome little 3D rendering program, esp for free!! (Thanks Google!!) Last little bit i'm gonna comment as it seems to be slightly off topic for this sub-forum... but there are a ton of tutorials and video's on Youtube for how-to's and examples of what you can do with Sketch-up... Just go to www.youtube.com and search for 'Sketch-up'; or 'how to sketch-up'; or 'sketch-up tutorial'--and you will find a ton of useful information. Good luck!!

While your practicing, you should model up an 1959 Alumacraft FD for me hahaha :LOL2:

The finished bow plate looks fantastic!

What tool (in sketchup) did you use to twist the sculpture?

Sketchup is a really great way to help visualize the final product. Sometimes your brain and reality don't see thing the same way :LOL2:

base_v5 said:
The finished bow plate looks fantastic!

What tool (in sketchup) did you use to twist the sculpture?

Sketchup is a really great way to help visualize the final product. Sometimes your brain and reality don't see thing the same way :LOL2:

Thanks! The twisting sculpture is a series of cubes that have been rotated. Try this...

Draw a square and push/pull to a cube. Using the rotate tool, rotate the top face. This should twist the first segment, you can enter the degrees of twist. Instead of a cube i rotated a tapering cube which was slightly larger at top. I made a series of these to form the twist. It was 9 segments each rotated 10 degrees. From top to bottom that makes a 90 deg twist.

I work as a piping designer where I work at, we use autocad and various piping programs to draw with. I had never heard of sketchup before this post, so I decided to check it out. After looking at the 2 starting videos I am very impressed with this program, it is a really cool program to have for modeling. I think I'll download it on my home pc and learn it. Thanx for posting it.

Just what I need, another obsession... :mrgreen:

I know the cadd/drafting instructor at our local jr college. He spoke highly of this software when it was first introduced.

I messed around with the program. I have used autocad before, with much difficulty. Is there anywhere other than the program itself to teach you how to use it? I would love to figure it out.

Latest posts