Painting an aluminum boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankbait09

Reaction score
I know there have been threads in the past but if you could point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I have a 14' Flat bottom Jon boat that is currently a greenish color. I am not sure if this is the sealant color or the paint color. I can't tell. When I bought the boat a few months back, the guy said he sealed the boat it it does not leak (he is correct).

I would like to either strip the paint and start fresh OR (to save money), just paint over what is there now since there is nothing wrong it, just the color.

What should I do and what is the best way? Could I just as easy get some paint and have at it? Or should I strip it down?

If the current paint isn't coming off, and doesn't flake off easily, I'd sand it and paint over it. Prime any bare spots with self-etching aluminum primer. Save a lot of time, money, and it truly wouldn't look any different than if you'd stripped it down to bare metal - if you sand it well.

Latest posts