removing rivets

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScratchyBass

Reaction score
I just bought an aerocraft aluminum boat and I'm going to do some modifications but im a little unsure of removing the rivets and are there special rivets I have to put back? Any info on the subject will be gladly appreciated

You have a few options available to you. You can use solid rivets which need to be bucked or you can use closed head pop-rivets that work just fine.

Here a youtube video of the closed head rivets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPfPryTRcY4

Hope this hepls

Hey ScratchyBass,

I re-rivetted my entire 1232 using solid rivets. I bought them from Grainger for ~$10.00. I used the 1/4" x 3/8" rivets with the big rounded head. The rivits I removed were 3/16". Since the boat was all open, I bought a cheap air hammer/chisel from Harbor Freight ($8.00) and cut the pointed chisel flat and countersunk it with a 1/2" drill. I drilled the hole for the rivet one size larger than 1/4". I bought some 3M 5200 quick set marine sealent (Home Depot $9.00) and rimmed the hole before inserting the rivet. I backed the rivet with a 2 lb one jack and used the air hammer to mushroom the rivet head.
Work real well...I installed ~60 rivets. I know this might be more than most people would do, but I wanted to make sure the rivets were set well and didn't want to have to remove the deck for any weak rivets in the future. The only Rivet that didn't set well was the first one my wife helped me with #-o

If you buy the closed end rivets, use the 3M 5200 sealent.

Good Luck :!:

Cheers :beer:

Latest posts