Middle Bench Seat Removal

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docpotter

Reaction score
I am considering removing my middle bench seat on a 12ft klamath but am a little concerned of the riveted hull compressing while on the water and leaking. Should I be? I want to put a raised floor of 3"-4"so I'm not tripping over ribs and put a removanle pedistal seat in case my 2 kids want to fish with me.

only thing you can do is remove it and put it on the water and check for twisting ao flexing. you can always get new rivets and put the bench back in, or does your bench connect to the floor along the whole bottom of the bench? if so just cut out the middle part of it and you can use the peices on each side that will still be riveted and make 2 small storage boxes. or remove the whole thing and make a brace for each side, do a search and you will get a few ideas from others mods. honestly though i dont think you will have any problems with rigidity with that small of a boat because im guessing your motors small and your not out jumping whitecaps and wakes.....i removed my middle bench on my 16ft v and its fine.

How about if you just removed the center section of the seat? Cover over the exposed flotation foam and add reinforcing brackets made from angle stock, from the seats gunwale end to the floor rib?

I say rip it out!

Just make sure you do a good job of connecting your floor to the bottom and sides. A floor will stiffen the boat right up.

Don't overpower the boat and you'll be fine.

You will be thrilled with how much nice the boat fishes with a flat, open floor.

Latest posts