Advice on bowfishing bow?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orion_134

Reaction score
I am wanting to get back into bowfishing and I have a clean slate to start with. I used to use the AMS retriever and will stick to that, but I am wanting some input on the bow. It seems I can find the AMS FireHawk kit for about $330ish online but I don't know that market, and am not sure if that is the best deal. I can get the retriever kit with arrows for ~$120, so is the FireHawk bow worth the ~$200? Should I look for a different bow that will drop down to ~40lbs draw and just slap a retriever on it?

Thanks guys,
Jesse

I buy cheap bows and equip them with the retriever pro. That way when I beat it up or throw it down in the heat of the moment I really don't care. I have 4 and none of them cost me over $20. (For the bow only)

Attachments

• IMG_20120316_122404.jpg
    IMG_20120316_122404.jpg
    701.5 KB · Views: 8,573
I think I am about to pull the trigger on a Diamond Edge junior bow. We'll know more in the morning, but there is a good chance I'm sticking some fish on Saturday...

Spoiler is that one bow an old Bear recurve? I had one that has an aluminum riser and fiber glass limbs. I think it was around 45 lbs. I wish I could remember what I did with it, it would have made an excellent fishing bow.

Love my Parker Sidekick...

bofishingbow.jpg

So I got the Diamond, and I have some questions:

Biscuit/whisker rest vs Wave Rest?

Anyone know why there is a long rubber dongle attached to the retriever handle? I noticed in the photo above it is removed.

Taking it out tomorrow, can't wait.

orion_134 said:
So I got the Diamond, and I have some questions:

Biscuit/whisker rest vs Wave Rest?

Anyone know why there is a long rubber dongle attached to the retriever handle? I noticed in the photo above it is removed.

Taking it out tomorrow, can't wait.

Whisker Biscuit Bowfishing Rest is in a class all by itself. The new AMS Tidal Wave Rest is an improvement over the old Wave Rest...but it's still made out of plastic.

Not sure what you're referring to on the retriever. The one in my pic is all stock.

They told me at the shop that the whisker rest won't reliably hold the heavier arrows. Fact?

I called AMS, they said the long rubber piece is to prevent the string from getting under the trigger.

orion_134 said:
They told me at the shop that the whisker rest won't reliably hold the heavier arrows. Fact?

I called AMS, they said the long rubber piece is to prevent the string from getting under the trigger.

The hunting Whisker Biscuit will not stand up to the heavy fiberglass fishing arrows. People use to take the hunting biscuit and glue/epoxy the bottom bristles before they started making the Bowfishing Whisker Biscuit.

https://www.backwaterbowfishing.com/onlinestore/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=78

The Mission Archery bows are great starter bows for bowfishing, I'd shop around and try to find a used Oneida though. Oneida is in a class all to itself. For rests check out the Quickdraw rest too. Very happy with them and I've always been a whisker biscuit fan for regular archery.

Latest posts