PVC Decking?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Doc

Reaction score
Hey ya'll,

New here. Just picked up a 14' Monarc I plan on converting. It has a 25 HP Johnson on the back and a Motorguide TM on the front. It came with 2 fishfinders, one Lowrance and one Eagle. Here's what I plan on doing:

repainting it, carpeting the whole inside
Putting a deck on the front.
Decking the back
storage
recessed TM pedal
some bluewater LED lights.

I'm not that comfortable doing the electric work, but I'm sure with some research here, I'll get it figured out.

So here are my questions:

Has anyone used PVC decking before for the casting deck? If so, how did you get it done. I was thinking about biscuit joints, industrial glue, and pipe clamping a big section together, bracing across the boards with aluminum, then using cardboard to get the shape/storage I want, then carpeting.

I've seen some guys using aluminum angle with rivets. Is there a "step by step" or a how to on riveting/building a frame from aluminum?

for the floor (between the deck and the rear seat) would MDF sealed with spar be okay. I don't need a super permanent solution to that as I'm sure it will get replaced every couple years anyhow because I hate dirt...

How do you cut out the middle seat without drilling out rivets. (obviously cut it out, but where and what do I need to avoid?)

Would spray cans of automotive paint be an okay paint for the bottom of the boat? I'm sure I will have a bunch more questions, but that's a good start. Thanks guys

I'm building a mini pontoon and considered using a plastic deck product, but decided on aluminum decking. Www.lastdeck.com it should be here tomorrow. It was much lighter than the PVC. I think ideally on a Jon or v I'd do aluminum sheet and cover it in bed liner.

I know it's an old post, but thought I'd see if anyone has come up with a good plan to use pvc to build the frame work of a deck. I still wanna use aluminum for decking, just thought I could lessen the blow on my wallet by using pvc for frame work.

Hi jaytmann. I think you could certainly use PVC decking "lumber" (2"x4") for the framing beneath and then screw/rivet an aluminum, or plywood deck on top of it, but it would probably be the too heavy to build the entire deck out of the same PVC material. Let us know what you come up with. I'm curious to see how it turns out.

I was thinking of using pvc pipes. I thought about gluing caps on vertical legs to screw an aluminum deck into. Any suggestions?

I suppose that would work, if you made it stiff enough. Are you going to attach it to the hull, or make it removeable? Here's a pic of a poling platform a guy made out of PVC. You could probably do a similar, lower version for a deck. Although, I would try to use the grey, electrical PVC as it is UV resistant unlike regular white PVC. Good luck.

Attachments

• PVC poling platform.jpg
    PVC poling platform.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,429
My learned engineering friends have told me that a cylinder is one of the strongest structural methods used.

I used four PVC pipe pieces to support a deck that I made for the back of my van. So far, not only does it easily handle my kayak's weight...it stood up to my wife's luggage on a recent trip!

THAT is strong!

If you can find them in the size you need, PVC pipe flanges make excellent mounting points, as you can see on the bottom of this picture of the van support system. regards, Rich

IMG_9318.JPG

The Doc said:
Hey ya'll,

Has anyone used PVC decking before for the casting deck? If so, how did you get it done. I was thinking about biscuit joints, industrial glue, and pipe clamping a big section together, bracing across the boards with aluminum, then using cardboard to get the shape/storage I want, then carpeting.

Are you talking about the PVC, simulated wood decking? If so, it warps easy and it won't hold glue.

Thanks Rich,I like the flange idea.
I figured some prices for some 1.5" PVC pipe and all the connections, for what I would call some pretty stout framework. It doesn't appear, that I'll save any money by using the PVC pipes versus aluminum for the framework (approx $40 more). The pvc connectors appear cheap till ya buy a bunch of them. The pvc framework might be easier for some to work with if ya don't have the tools to frame out the deck with aluminum. With all the research I did, I stuck with the norm, and ordered 2x2x.125" aluminum angle today. I got a good price on the angle since little bro works at a welding shop.
I do hope someday, someone tries a casting deck using PVC pipes for framework and posts their pics. I'd love to try it on a smaller casting deck.

Even if the PVC and the Aluminum were exactly even in cost....the weight savings with the aluminum would be too favorable to pass up. Glad you went that way.

Obviously, the back of my van doesn't have the same weight issues as does my boat. Well done! Rich

Actually, according to some internet research, I found that 1.5" pvc pipe and 2x2x.125" angle are both 0.5 lbs/ft. I reference those 2 materilas because, those are the two I was contemplating using. Unless you figure that you'd use less aluminum angle vs pvc pipe when building the framework for a deck.

jaytmann said:
I know it's an old post, but thought I'd see if anyone has come up with a good plan to use pvc to build the frame work of a deck. I still wanna use aluminum for decking, just thought I could lessen the blow on my wallet by using pvc for frame work.

Has anyone tried the aluminum decking. How is the price compared to Diamond Plate? Thanks.

Latest posts