Howdy Folks, Old Guy, new to forum...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kismet

Reaction score
Just sayin' "Hi."

Been 17 years since I had a boat, but had the itch to get something for these "senior" years. I've spent hours over the last week, going through the posts here. Great stuff, and kind of addicting.

Found a 1969 Delhi 12 ft semi-v, with a 1967 Clinton (Sears) 3hp, and trailer. I'm out in the country, so wanted
a local purchase. It's nice enough, but had suffered the fate of a small, old boat, treated with little respect
over the years. As an oldphart, I can empathize. :) Light enough for my old bones to horse around, and no catastrophic damage that I can see.

Spent the week-end locating and attending to most obvious issues, boat, trailer, and motor. Will take it to a small lake next week, and practice my long-gone backing-up with a trailer reflexes. Should be funny for a while.

Only pressing issue at the moment is to find out the fuel mixture on the '67 Clinton 3 hp. I got a gas tank with it, but don't know what fuel mix is in there. From the vintage, I'd figure 16-1, or maybe 24-1, and probably chain saw oil, but perhaps marine oil. Dunno.

Working on function now; later I may address its good looks.

Want to say again, from the hours I've spent going through the posts, this is a terrific resource. Thank you.

=D>

Hey Old Guy... I mean Kismet. Welcome to the forum. I'm new here too, but already feel at home. Congrats on the boat find.

I like the old outboards myself, but am unfamiliar with the Clintons. I will add that my '58 Evinrude uses 24:1 and my 61 Evinrude is 40:1
I used to belong to an Antique Outboard Forum. It was a great bunch of guys that were a great help. I just fell out of participation over time.. No particular reason. You might find help there on your motor.

Can't help with the motor question, but wanted to say HI back.

And, you probably have some competition from some of us on that age thing...ha Ha Where are you?

regards, rich

Took the Delhi out to the lake today. Clear sunny day, but cold, so not many out there. Just as well, it will be a while before I recover my skills in backing up. No hull leaks, but should have checked the snugness of the drain plug. Got my attention, it did. Fixed it up.

Little Clinton (Sears), made in Canada, 3.5 worked ok at most settings. Ran it about 40 minutes. Biggest issue was the swivel seat placement. These seats must have been put in when the boat was new--43 years ago. Really difficult to get back to the motor, even to start. They are flush-mounted, and I haven't figured out how to skillfully remove the rear. Should skill fail, I have a crowbar. :)

12 foot boat, 48 inches wide at top, about 36 inch at waterline, pretty flat, except with semi-v bow. Doesn't dig in much, and I noticed the wind pushing the boat as I motored along. Bow lifts up a bit with me, gas can and motor in back. No trim on the little kicker; hardly necessary. Really, a shallow water/river boat, I'd guess. I'll think about some weight up front...maybe gas can (but that's a long way to run a hose,) or dog up there.

Temporarily dropped some indoor/outdoor carpet at bow and in front of rear seat. Tacked it down with some Sportsman's Goop. Not terribly concerned about cosmetics, just wanted something grippy underfoot.

Trailer is ok. Did some stuff, but not really satisfied with bunks and ratchet.

Came with a very old Johnson trolling motor. Probably a 17lb, but no labels on it. It works and I took along a mower battery, just in case the Clinton died on me. Actually, it did a couple of times, as I messed with throttle and rich/lean settings. Started back up with little issue. Seems to like medium speed best, but a lot of that may be just sitting around. I'll probably get a deep cycle battery one of these days for the troller, or maybe one that is newer.

Found myself looking at the Evinrude 3hp Twinstar that 's been sitting in the shed for the last 17 years. Still has compression, and I sort of like the look of the old motor. There's also a 5 hp Eska/Golden Jet over on a mount that's been sitting as long. Maybe...dunno.

Think lightweight 9.9 would be ideal, but that's not in the Social Security budget. :) Spring is not the time to price motors.

Overall, boat and motor did fine. The seat will be addressed, but darned if I can find how they attached the darn things. Over-riding problems were with the old man in the boat. Stuff that used to be insignificant now are problematic. I felt clumsy the whole time, really. Part of that was unfamiliarity with the motor, part the 17 year gap since I last launched and drove a boat, and part just the whole aging thing.

I'll get by. :) Still looking for fuel mix ratio.

Wecome from one S.S. guy to another. Glad to see another Tinner from the upper midwest aboard. The very first boat motor I ever had was Clinton, ask about oil mix and he told me a qt. to a can of gas, I couldn't see the motor for the smoke. :oops: Found out later he had an old 3 gal oil can from his tractor. Never did get a correct mix, so I just ran it with enough oil to always see a haze behind me, and it never seized up. Hope You have better luck on Your quest for a mix ratio

You should consider tracking down and installing a new water pump/impeller on that motor, there's lots of good videos on youtube that show you how to change one out.

Sounds like that carb could use a good cleaning too, these are 2 of the 3 main things you want to do when putting a used motor into service.

The third thing is to change the "dope" in the foot, look for metal shavings in the old fluid.

That 12 footer isn't much more than a surf board so don't feel too bad about the "clumsiness", everyone feels like that in a 12 footer.

It would be a good idea to wear your PFD all the time in that boat, 12 footers are notorious for being tippy.

This might help you decide on what mix ratio to use in your fuel:
https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=266268

Was out messing around with the boat and found a trim adjustment of sorts. Motor was angled up, so that may explain the bow raising issue. That, and the gas can that came with it is a 6.6 gallon, 3/4s full. I figure that with 6.6 gallons this little thing could run all summer. I'll get an appropriately sized one soon.

Thank you, very much, for the thread on the Clinton motors. Twenty to one should do the trick, splitting the difference of some of the posters. Chain saw oil works for me. Didn't know the engine design was originally a chain saw motor. :)

Jigngrub? don't think I'll be replacing anything that doesn't demand it on the motor for a while. But thank you.

Carb cleaning is on the agenda. I have always worn a PFD on water. Started a thousand years ago when I did some amateur canoe racing. Just part of the ritual now.

Oh, figured maybe...just maybe...I can squeeze a thin open-end wrench under the swivel seat and un-bolt it. As it stands, I just took the back off, which will let me lean back for the tiller and throttle adjustments.

While it seems to fill up the shed, it is amazing how small the boat is on the water, especially when a Northlander 14 high wall, with 50hp motor and console shows up.

'Course I had to help him get it on the trailer, while the Delhi just floated out and was drawn back in...kind of like a bobber.

I kind of like messing with old stuff.

Great report. I can see that, with your skill with the "pen" ...you will be a fine addition to this group. Keep on plugging away. It will all come back...and..if not..you will probably THINK it all came back!!!

..From one old guy to another.....

regards, rich

I know I'm late, but wanted to say Welcome to TinBoats. We're always happy to have more people on board. That's what makes this such a great forum.

Oh dear. :(

Craig's list:

I have two old Evinrude's for sale both are complete with gas tanks, I have taken them into Top Marine for Water pumps installs.
I will be selling both as is and have not touched them due to the purchase of a new boat.
Both run and have been maintained. I would like to get $250.00 for each motor includes tank, and motor stand.

Was looking around and darned if this didn't catch my eye. Noticed not many older small engines around for sale.

Oh dear.

:)

Jigngrub? don't think I'll be replacing anything that doesn't demand it on the motor for a while. But thank you.

I understand... but impellers and foot lube are maintenance items that could leave you stranded if neglected.

I called the guy with the old "vintage" Evinrude 5 and 7.5 motors. He still has them. We have an appointment.

Assuming they are both in running condition, and do not seem ill-treated, which would you prefer for the 12ft Delhi? It is a light boat.

Think weight (for me lugging it around) may be an issue. Internet search was difficult to tell weights of the two. One has the old bulbous engine cover, the other a more contemporary, smaller and sleek cover. I'm guessing the 7.5 is the big one, and will be somewhat heavier. I won't be going out on big lakes, and will be toting these things by myself.

Thanks.

For help on that Clinton, try this link to another thread on this forum:

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14047

I personally like the ones with the bulbous covers that look like they came from outer space. The 7.5 will put you near the max hp on that boat, and will give you the power to get back to the launch a little quicker should the need arise.

Some pictures of 1969 12ft Delhi, 1967 3.5 Clinton(Sears), no-name trailer.

12ftdelhileftside4-23-12-1.jpg

Delhi12ftrightside4-23-12.jpg

Delhi12ftfromfront4-23-12.jpg

Delhifromrear4-23-12.jpg

Clinton 3.5
Clinton35hpfromleft4-23-12.jpg

Clinton35hp4-23-12.jpg

Motors for sale to be looked at (if the guy ever calls to verify the appointment.)
?7.5 Evinrude
lancesevenrude2.jpg

?5hp Evinrude
lancesevinrude1.jpg

With consideration of $ available, and my general physical condition, I'm leaning towards the 5hp. The old Clinton did just fine for a 45 year-old motor, but a little more ooomph, and more accessible repair opportunities,
make the Evinrudes more attractive to me. I'd rather bruise the budget rather than take chances on failed equipment out on a lake.

For what it is, the 12ft boat is just fine as is. Not a lot of things that CAN be done, much less need to be done. Tinboats kind of encourages folks to start modifying because others have done such neat and functional things to their watercraft.

Really enjoying this site, and going through all the posts.

Latest posts