What camera do I want?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hanr3

Reaction score
My Wife tells me I'm getting a new camera for Christmas.

So my question to you all, is What do I want? lol

Little background of my photogratphy experience.
Got a Nikon EM back in 1982, bought a 70-210mm zoom in '83. Been taking pictures every since. Bought a couple of those entry level digital cameras (Nikon Cool pics), they work OK for up close. Looking for something I can reach out and touch someone like that 210mm zoom did.

I want something that takes video too.

And both in HD.

What cha got?

https://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikonusa/html/pbpage.D3100-free-shipping?CID=SEM-0910-Google_buy_d_3100

I'm thinking more along the lines of a DSLR like the Nikon linked to above.
Anybody have experience with the DSLR's?

I have the Nikon D5100 with a 8-16 sigma zoom, and 18-270 Tamron Zoom for it. I would recommend it over the 3100 for the little price difference if you do want a DSLR. it is basically a professional camera in an advanced amateur body, not titanium, etc. Sam's/Costco sells the 5100 kit with two zoom lenses for about $760 IIRC.
However I would NOT buy any DSLR now myself. I would buy the new thing, an ILC, check out the Nex C3,5N, or 7 which are mirrorless cameras with the same size sensor APS-C but is about half the size and weight of a mirrored one. I just bought a C3 and am waiting to order a 7 after my latest box of "old" equipment reaches B&H and I get my check back. :)
you can get Nikon to Nex adapters and use your old nikon lenses on the nex, obviously not autofocus then however, so old "obsolete" Nikon lenses can be picked up cheaply to be used on them.
bumpy

Latest posts