Endcap removal tutorial for transom board removal?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

y0y0y0

Reaction score
Hello...my first post here. First off, I am very glad I found this site.

I have a 16 ft wide Rhyancraft Jon boat that I need to replace the transom board on. I've read over many posts here about people removing the end caps to get at the board to replace it. That is what I will need to do, but I have no welding experience and cutting these caps off is kind of scary to me! :wink: I saw some people said they just riveted them back on but I don't see where I could to that as this is mostly welded to the gunwall.

Does anyone have a link to a tutorial here where someone has broken down with pictures HOW to do this? If so, I may have missed it. Thanks!

y0y0y0 said:
Hello...my first post here. First off, I am very glad I found this site.

I have a 16 ft wide Rhyancraft Jon boat that I need to replace the transom board on. I've read over many posts here about people removing the end caps to get at the board to replace it. That is what I will need to do, but I have no welding experience and cutting these caps off is kind of scary to me! :wink: I saw some people said they just riveted them back on but I don't see where I could to that as this is mostly welded to the gunwall.

Does anyone have a link to a tutorial here where someone has broken down with pictures HOW to do this? If so, I may have missed it. Thanks!

Hey y0y0y0,
Post some pictures if you can and I'm sure somebody will have some info for you. Mine were riveted on so removing them was easy, but pictures will help folks on here point you in the right direction!

Welcome to the forums!

You probably have a "Z" channel that holds the bottom of your transom wood, and you may have 1-3 transom braces. All of these rivet to the boat and can be removed easier than the corner gussets that're welded.

Remove your Z channel and any braces and slide the wood down instead of taking it out the top.

jigngrub said:
You probably have a "Z" channel that holds the bottom of your transom wood, and you may have 1-3 transom braces. All of these rivet to the boat and can be removed easier than the corner gussets that're welded.

Remove your Z channel and any braces and slide the wood down instead of taking it out the top.

@ gigngrub - Thanks for the advice. I think thats the way I will go.

Latest posts