First boat, first post, first question...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FloridaRebel01

Reaction score
Just picked up a 1975 14' Eldocraft, been fixing some things and thanks to all the awesome info here on the boards i am nearing completion and a water test! It has no motor, this boat will be mainly for fishing and cruising, all of the areas it will be used are "no wake, slow speed" zones, So no need to get it on a plane. Total weight of persons + gear will be 550lbs, My question is, will one of the newer 4 stroke 2.5hp motors be ok for this? i know it will be slow, my concern is if wind comes up will i be able to get back.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Welcome To TinBoats ! :WELCOME:

Do You Already Have That 2.5 HP Motor, Or Looking To Get One ?

My Guess, Unless Someone On Here Already Has One And Reads This Post To Share Their Experience With One, The Only Way You May Find Out Is To Try It. Not An Answer I Know, But Most Posts I Have Read Seem To Be 6 HP And More, Not So Many With Less Than 6 HP.

Just my opinion, but if you have the time to tinker and have the ability, there is nothing wrong with buying a used motor. Again JMHO, but I spent way too much time tinkering with older motors and just opted to get one new outboard and one very low hour used one for two of my boats. Now I can just spend more time fishing than getting greasy. I'm not a young one anymore. :roll:

I myself would get between an 8 or 10hp just in case you need the extra giddy up. I have a four stroke 15hp on my 14 foot Gregor and I think it is mostly too much for what we do, but it was nice to have that extra push when the winds and the chop came out of nowhere.

I have an Eldocraft 1436, I don't know about yours but mine is a pretty heavy boat, empty it's all two guys can do to pick it up and move it. I an Eska 7hp on it and it would only run 3-5 mph... Have you thought about just getting a big trolling motor for it? A 55# thrust TM would probably push it just as fast if not faster than a 2.5 outboard, basically no maintenance, and 1/4 the cost if bought new...

catmansteve said:
I have an Eldocraft 1436, I don't know about yours but mine is a pretty heavy boat, empty it's all two guys can do to pick it up and move it. I an Eska 7hp on it and it would only run 3-5 mph... Have you thought about just getting a big trolling motor for it? A 55# thrust TM would probably push it just as fast if not faster than a 2.5 outboard, basically no maintenance, and 1/4 the cost if bought new...
I would also just get a big trolling motor

FloridaRebel01 said:
Just picked up a 1975 14' Eldocraft, been fixing some things and thanks to all the awesome info here on the boards i am nearing completion and a water test! It has no motor, this boat will be mainly for fishing and cruising, all of the areas it will be used are "no wake, slow speed" zones, So no need to get it on a plane. Total weight of persons + gear will be 550lbs, My question is, will one of the newer 4 stroke 2.5hp motors be ok for this? i know it will be slow, my concern is if wind comes up will i be able to get back.

Thanks in advance for any info.

:WELCOME: It sounds to me that you will be messing around in the ICW or back waters, if that is the case I would get something bigger than 2.5 (What is the boat rated for). I also agree with getting a trolling motor it's nice to have both.

Welcome :WELCOME:

Trolling motors are incredibly nice and useful, but if you have the option to have and use a gas motor on your boat, GET ONE!

My advice would be to get a larger motor than the 2.5HP. Don't be afraid of used motors, they are usually significantly cheaper than new ones, and its easy to find one that is as clean and runs as well as a new one. You can even get one from a dealer or marina that comes with a warranty of some sort.

I would recommend a five to ten year old 9.9HP motor. You could get an excellent condition one for less than $1,000 which is probably what a new 2.5 costs anyway.

I had a 69 Johnson 3.5hp on my old 12ftr

It only went a hair faster than the trolling motor (40lb motorguide) but give some wind or a small current in a river and it was worth its weight in gold.

Latest posts