Low 1648 small leak

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golden ghost

Reaction score
I have a leak where the bottom meets the side. Right at the seam. Any thoughts of an easy fix. Thanks.

If it's a riveted boat I'd go with Gluvit or Coat-it.

If it's welded, take it to a welder.

If it's a riveted boat and you weld a seam you'll end up burning the gasket in between the 2 pieces of metal.

jigngrub said:
If it's a riveted boat and you weld a seam you'll end up burning the gasket in between the 2 pieces of metal.

This is interesting. I didn't know there was a gasket between the two pieces. I've disassembled a few riveted boats and found no gasket, but they were pretty old. If there is a gasket and you weld it, I'd think there would no longer be a need for the gasket since the weld essentially makes the two pieces into one piece, eliminating the potential for leaking.

It would be good to see a picture of the crack in question.

My boat is riveted, but where the side meets the bottom I'm pretty sure that is welded.

Depending on the size of the leak, you could coat it along with the rest of the interior seams with Gluv-it, or Coat-it which are both spreadable 2-part epoxies that dry tough, but flexible. Being and epoxy, it does require UV protection so you'll need to paint over after it cures fully and/or install some decks to protect it. West Marine usually sells it by the gallon, or 1/2 gallon. It can also be used to seal any wood you may have on the boat including the decks and transom. You may also be able to use a Marine putty epoxy to stop the leak, but it dries very hard and may crack in the future as the hull flexes. 3M 5200 and good ol JB weld are also some pretty amazing stuff for very small leaks.

Latest posts