New member with a new boat-

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71'V-Hull

Reaction score
So I've been lurking around here for a few weeks and finally picked up my first boat. It's a little 1971 12' V hull, not sure of the manufacturer.

It definitely can use a few things, but I've already taken it out a few times on some local water and it does great. I spent around 8 hours out on the first trip, no leaks and a little 30lb thrust Minn Kota pushed it around well enough. Enough boring stuff, I'll get to the pictures.

2gxfo6b.jpg

2rf7m6x.jpg

And here's a nice bass I caught out on the first trip. I don't have a scale yet though but I estimated a little under 3 pounds, and as you can see it was definitely a little skinny.

Still, it's the best bass I've caught and a very nice change from little 12-14" fish that I was used to catching from the shore and I'm very happy with it. I definitely count on catching a lot more like that one. I also caught a couple of nice chain pickeral on the trip as well. The largest was just shy of 24"

mimgyv.jpg

So, here I am with a ton of mods and improvements already swimming around in my head, in fact.. I already made a scale layout in photoshop of what I'd like to do with the boat.

8vxkxh.jpg

Basically, I'd like some input and feedback on my plans.

I'd say the boat is definitely too narrow to put any sort of casting deck on it at 47" wide, but some decent pedestal seats should do just fine.

I don't have a gas motor yet, but it'll probably be in the 5-7hp range. If I can hit 10mph I'll be happy. Even with just a small trolling motor on it now, it's fine for most areas that I fish.

Hello, and welcome to Tinboats!
Nice catch on the bass, and on the tin.
Lots of good advice to be found here, easier to access given the search function.
I am nearly done with mods on a 12 footer and it's turning out a lot better that it would have without this team.
Have fun!

:WELCOME: to the forums and congrats on the new boat and your 1st fish in it. Great feeling getting the 1st fish in a new boat.

There are so many idea floating around here it will make your head swim.

Not to end up with the fun, and from having a 12' myself,
Your boat its too narrow to add up that much stuff, and you could end up being more unstable with that much weight.

12' foot boats are not meant to get loaded, and by adding that much weight, you might end up in the water instead of fishing.

I hope you understand and think on a simpler plan for a light boat.

Congrats on your boat! :D

=D> =D>

Another 12'er on the boards! Outstanding to see.

I like your layout - it looks real similar to what I'm working on with mine. One question, you must be a southpaw? I noticed that the rear seat's on the left side of the boat, and not the right side...

Looks like a good project to start on - just remember that wood and carpet add up! You may need that 9.9Hp in the end.

Sharpix said:
Not to end up with the fun, and from having a 12' myself,
Your boat its too narrow to add up that much stuff, and you could end up being more unstable with that much weight.

12' foot boats are not meant to get loaded, and by adding that much weight, you might end up in the water instead of fishing.

I hope you understand and think on a simpler plan for a light boat.

Congrats on your boat! :D

Honestly, I think I'll be OK on the weight. I'm planning on using aluminum angle and 1/2" plywood for the floor/decking. Although I think I'm just going to use a hand controlled trolling motor on the front instead of a bow mount to save space.

Also, where I fish is very calm, small waters. I took it out on a larger lake yesterday and it's just too small of a boat to be out there with 20 + foot pontoon boats going full speed. I guess I can always remove stuff as well if weight becomes an issue. I'm also already looking for a wide 14.

wihil said:
=D> =D>

Another 12'er on the boards! Outstanding to see.

I like your layout - it looks real similar to what I'm working on with mine. One question, you must be a southpaw? I noticed that the rear seat's on the left side of the boat, and not the right side...

Looks like a good project to start on - just remember that wood and carpet add up! You may need that 9.9Hp in the end.

You're right about the seat being on the wrong side. I'll have to flip that around for sure, or more likely I'll just center it.

I've seen a few 5-6 hp motors on CL locally for decent prices, but no 9.9's anywhere to be found unfortunately. I don't need to go very fast though, the largest water this boat will likely see is a 382 acre lake/reservior with very limited access.

I'll try to update my schematics and get them posted up again. Unfortunately I can't really start anything yet because it won't stop raining!

My 12's got a 7.5 (really an 8 Hp) on it, and just by myself with only the necessities it'll move right along. With another angler and his gear plus a day's sustenance - amazing how much a bunch of 12oz cans and food can weight - it slows it down a bit, but we still plane out.

I'm fully expecting with the mod weight that it'll be a bit slower, but I'm not in a huge hurry to get anywhere.

Don't let the big toon's push you off - I take my 12'er out in rolling 2'ers all the time on Winnie, and while I do get wet there's still plenty of fish in the cooler at the end of the day. One of the joys of being a small boat on big water I suppose.

Can't wait to see how the mod come along! (BTW, WISE choice on aluminum and .5" ply. I did the front with wood, rear will be done with aluminum. Live and learn....)

wihil said:
My 12's got a 7.5 (really an 8 Hp) on it, and just by myself with only the necessities it'll move right along. With another angler and his gear plus a day's sustenance - amazing how much a bunch of 12oz cans and food can weight - it slows it down a bit, but we still plane out.

I'm fully expecting with the mod weight that it'll be a bit slower, but I'm not in a huge hurry to get anywhere.

Don't let the big toon's push you off - I take my 12'er out in rolling 2'ers all the time on Winnie, and while I do get wet there's still plenty of fish in the cooler at the end of the day. One of the joys of being a small boat on big water I suppose.

Can't wait to see how the mod come along! (BTW, WISE choice on aluminum and .5" ply. I did the front with wood, rear will be done with aluminum. Live and learn....)

I actually just remembered that my favorite fishing area is electric only, so I may not even go with an outboard. I suppose I could use it in the local river, and a couple different local lakes, but the reservoir I normally fish in is pretty consistent with good sized fish and only about 10 minutes from my house. Probably around 90% or more of my fishing is/will be done there.

Are any of those solar chargers worth a **** at all?

So, after thinking a lot more... yes, it hurts.

I think I'm going to delete the live well and put in a rod storage box as well as just find a 55-70lb trolling motor and ditch the outboard.

It's a small boat, I need to remember that I can't fit everything I want in it! Also, price is definitely a factor. Outboard, livewell and a bow mount trolling motor would really add up.

35lg4ud.jpg

After fudging around with it hopefully for the last time, I believe I'm going to stay with this- Although I may find room to put in a cooler somewhere - Maybe to the right of the driver's seat.

I may also try to fit in some pull out trays under the rod storage compartment if there ends up being room.

This layout should also give me some room to perhaps try to bring my big fat dog along as well.
33peib7.jpg

He'll need all the room I can make for him....

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on how to attach the aluminum angle to the boat? I was thinking something along the lines of cutting a short piece and rivet that to the hull, then bolt the pieces that will go across to that.

Something like this :

2vt3537.jpg

:WELCOME:

Congrats on the new boat!!

Where do you live? I have an excellent running 6HP for sale in southeast PA.

Regarding attaching aluminum bracing ... there are lots of ways to do it. Your best bet is to grab a few cans of soda and sit down one evening and read through a ton of the build threads on here. You will find some very good pictures of how guys are doing just what you want to. A picture is worth a thousand words, so start reading. :)

Also, don't be too afraid to put a deck in a 12' tin. As long as you keep it low enough, you'll be just fine. It won't be as stable as a big wide flat bottom boat, but it sure isn't a canoe :lol:

Latest posts