another new guy with a "new" boat and I need advice

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mainjet

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I have been lurking on the site for a few days looking at some very well done boat projects and reading some good advice to others. So now it's my turn. LOL

I bought a boat on a whim. I am new to boats and to the best of my knowledge this boat is about a '67 Alumacraft 14'. The previous registration says it's a '75 but the lady I bought it from had it when she was a kid and she is now retired. I also took off a registration sticker from 1968 so I think that I am in the range.

I asked the guy if it had any leaks and he said they had patched some but "no, it doesn't leak". Weeeell, I guess that was my first mistake. I was not specific enough... I should have said "does it leak when it's IN the WATER"? :D I gave $600.00 for the boat, the trailer (like new) and the motor (2000 Merc 9.9M 2-stroke).

My son and I took it out on the river and after a little bit I said "was that water in the boat when we started?" No, we had some seeping going on. But a little bit later after floating down the river, I noticed that a rivet popped out and we sprung a leak which was going about 2 inches in the air. Uh oh, time to start the motor and get back the landing. (first time ever trying to start the Mercury 9.9 and it started on the second pull and sounded great! after a few seconds it quit and I said "man, I love that". Two pulls and started right up after sitting. Then I tried to start it again for about the next half hour but could not get it going.

My son sat on the floor of the boat right in front of my feet with his finger on the hole to stop the water. We trolled up river for about the next 45 minutes trying every little bit to start the motor. We finally made it home safely.

So after reading on hear and researching a bit I ordered some solid rivets from Jay-Cee sales and rivets. I am going to pick up the large rivet gun and some 3m 5200. I have put water in the boat and watched for leaking rivets and marked them. I will start those repairs when I get the items in the mail.

I am not unlike everyone else - I don't have that much time to get out to fish so I don't want problems every time I go out. What I want right now is just to have a dry boat. "Maybe" later I will get more motivated to do a project like some of you guys.

1. My first question is about the center seam running the length of the boat. After filling it with water I see that that is probably going to seep along the seam. Is there anything I can seal that with, like the 5200? Should I so it from the inside or the underside?

2. This boat does not have a drain plug. Should I put one in? Is there a particular one to get? is there a particular place to put it or just near the bottom of the transom kind of close to the center?

3. The nose of the boat is broken out. I could leave it but it bugs me. Can I just have a piece welded in there or is there another idea. that I can do? There is no eyelet to pull the boat onto the trailer. They just looped the strap through the nose "hole" and pulled it up like that. It works but I was wondering if I should install the regular eyelet through the front of the boat or is that just asking for trouble/leaks?

4. On the bottom edge of the transome it must have leaked in the past so they put some kind of "sealer" on there. It appears tp be working but it's pretty ugly. Should I grind that off somehow and repair it properly or just let it be?

Let's start with these questions for now and see where it takes us. I am sure there will be more. :lol:

Pictures below of some of the areas I was talking about.

The boat
IMG_5426.jpg

IMG_5428.jpg

The broken nose
IMG_5431.jpg

The transom smear :D
IMG_5427.jpg

IMG_5429.jpg

Inside of the transom where maybe I will put the drain plug and maybe a bilge?
IMG_5430.jpg

hope to hear from some of you guys on this. Thanks.

Jim

Welcome aboard! Looks like you bought a boat just like I did. Not knowing what you are getting into. It can be quiet a hobby..

Looks like you might want to replace the board that is on the outside of the boat between transom and motor mounting bracket. If that cracks out you loose the tension on the mounting bolts and that can be a gnarly situation..The inside of the transom looks fine.

1. My first question is about the center seam running the length of the boat. After filling it with water I see that that is probably going to seep along the seam. Is there anything I can seal that with, like the 5200? Should I so it from the inside or the underside?
Seal the outside first, then if you want you can seal the inside completely...You seal the outside that way the pressure of the water pushes sealant against boat not away from it.

2. This boat does not have a drain plug. Should I put one in? Is there a particular one to get? is there a particular place to put it or just near the bottom of the transom kind of close to the center?
You need to know the size, measure it. I use the rubber compression type. There are also threaded types. See if you have a hole or threads and choose the type you want.

3. The nose of the boat is broken out. I could leave it but it bugs me. Can I just have a piece welded in there or is there another idea. that I can do? There is no eyelet to pull the boat onto the trailer. They just looped the strap through the nose "hole" and pulled it up like that. It works but I was wondering if I should install the regular eyelet through the front of the boat or is that just asking for trouble/leaks?
The bow plate is a critical structural component of the boat. I wouldnt have someone weld it as it looks to be cast aluminum. Id have someone make you a new bow plate. PM me if interested.
4. On the bottom edge of the transome it must have leaked in the past so they put some kind of "sealer" on there. It appears tp be working but it's pretty ugly. Should I grind that off somehow and repair it properly or just let it be?
If it is sealing its doing the job. I like everything to look nice on my boat. If it were me id grind it off and seal it nicely. From my experience, a good looking seal is usually a proper working seal.

Try to prep and perform all sealing at once. There is a 2 day shelf life on the 3m 5200, although I have just picked out the parts of the sealant that dried and continued to use it well over a few months. Not sure if it is working to product specifications but it is working.

Thanks for the reply. PM sent concerning the fabrication.

Yes, I agree about the outer transom board. It is pretty rotted and I did plan to replace that.

If I understand you correctly then the 5200 would be the proper thing to use on the center seam?

I am ordering some additional rivets and I have some questions.

1. Should I be using Aluminum rivets rather than stainless?
2. Head style - round head?

solid rivets would be best and install them wet with a good sealer. Aircraft spruce in Fayetteville or Peachtree City Ga would be a good source for rivets and sealer.

I have a old Appleby 12 foot boat and it leaked bad. I replaced all the bad rivets and then painted it and it's bone dry.

Well progress is slow but sure.
i finally replaced 80 rivets and installed a drain in the transom. I took the boat out today and it was finally leak free!

I replaced the wood on the transom and installed a bilge pump. I still need to do the wiring but it works nicely.

And finally I installed a transom saver on my trailer. It is all simple stuff but I needed to do it all before I ever thought about getting into some of these projects like you guys do to your boats.

I still need to send the bow plate off to be fabricated by aeviaanah but I just haven't found the time yet. My daughter is heading back to college soon and I have been working on her car, I have ben working on the boat and I bought a cottage up in Land O Lakes, WI all in the last few weeks. So it's hard to find the time to get it all done.

I will eventually trim the screws shorter on the inside of the transom but for right now I am going to leave the length until I get some other accessorizing done. I may want to use the length to put something no the screw and put a second nut on there. (Like a coffee cup holder). Can't go anywhere without my coffee!

Here are a few pictures before and after.
transombefore.jpg

transomafter.jpg

transom2before.jpg

transom2after.jpg

bilge2.jpg

bilge1.jpg

Latest posts