89 Tracker Rebuild Crocodile Style

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crocodile

Reaction score
I purchased this boat back in May and should have done a better job with the initial inspection. I was planning on cleaning it up and fishing, but rotten decks, small holes in the hull bottom and waterlogged foam has turned this project into a ground up rebuild.

Attachments

• securedownload1.jpg
    securedownload1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,294
More Pics. Does anyone have any advice on what to do after the primer? Should I wipe down with something or just dry cloth. Also I have two options for paint already in my posession.

#1. Interlux Brightside Fire Red single stage Boat Paint. (Gloss finish given to me by coworker)

#2. Parker duck boat paint Marsh Grass color. (Flat finish I purchased before given the red)

Attachments

• securedownload8.jpg
    securedownload8.jpg
    896.5 KB · Views: 2,252
  • securedownload7.jpg
    securedownload7.jpg
    790.2 KB · Views: 2,252
  • securedownload3.jpg
    securedownload3.jpg
    783.3 KB · Views: 2,252
  • securedownload4.jpg
    securedownload4.jpg
    745.2 KB · Views: 2,252
  • securedownload2.jpg
    securedownload2.jpg
    702.3 KB · Views: 2,252
  • securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    735.9 KB · Views: 2,252
Crocodile said:
More Pics. Does anyone have any advice on what to do after the primer? Should I wipe down with something or just dry cloth. Also I have two options for paint already in my posession.

#1. Interlux Brightside Fire Red single stage Boat Paint. (Gloss finish given to me by coworker)

#2. Parker duck boat paint Marsh Grass color. (Flat finish I purchased before given the red)

Both of these are good paints and since they are paid for, I would use one of them, whichever color you like best. I like the red, but you might not. If you like both, pick on based on available seat colors and costs. Camouflage always costs more for some reason beyond me, probably demand.

As an aside, I've used the Interlux Brightside before. It's good paint, but Rustoleum Professional oil based enamel paint is just as good and only costs twenty eight bucks a gallon. Unless you just want to spend the money, one can save a lot of money using the Rustoleum.

I believe I'd flush that acid off with some water just to make sure you aren't leaving a residue to eat into your boat.

You can replace the water logged foam with the blue or pink insulation board from the big box hardware stores. It's closed cell, won't absorb water and because of it's shape, it's easy for you to cut and shape to your boat. I would strongly advise doing this so you'll have some flotation in your boat if you get swamped and swamping does happen.

Seen it here on the big lakes in Georgia. Not a pretty sight. Foam kept one guy's boat from going to the bottom in about 100 feet of water. He lost some stuff, but was able to remove the boat and most of his gear with help from other fishermen in the area. You don't want a boat you've put a ton of work into sink to the bottom of a lake or river and lose everything.

Dave,

I did flush the acid off thoroughly and did that before I flipped it and brough inside. I was mainly wondering about what I should do over the primer if anything. I will probably just wipe with a damp cloth and then spray today. That way it can be curing all week in my 100 degree shop.

Decided to go with the Parkers in Marsh Grass. Went on very easy with HVLP gun and looks great. Does anyone have any experience with how long it takes to fully cure?

Attachments

• securedownload11.jpg
    securedownload11.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 2,191
  • securedownload12.jpg
    securedownload12.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 2,191
Thanks for the compliments guys. This weekend I plan on re-doing the trailer. I will probably paint it black and recarpet the bunks. I will probably try out the Rustoleum Topside for the trailer. 1 Quart should be enough. Here are a couple pics of the trailer...

Attachments

• securedownload13.jpg
    securedownload13.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 2,067
  • securedownload14.jpg
    securedownload14.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 2,067
  • securedownload15.jpg
    securedownload15.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 2,067
That trailer looks way to good to be painted, up here it'd be rusted out without anything on it - is that galvanized? If so - just leave it be.

After doing research I have decided to just clean up the rusty hardware, recarpet the bunks and leave it. The only reason for paint was for looks and you're right. It doesn't look bad. It is galvanized. 2003 Magic tilt brand.

I ordered mine from Cabelas and had it in 3 days. You can also order directly from their site.

Definately spray with an HVLP. I used one for the first time and it was extremely easy and it looks great.

You can also use duralux. I've heard of Parker's becoming chalky. Looks good though. Here's my old one with duralux

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344717982.891359.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344717982.891359.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 1,794
Thanks for the compliment.

Progress Today....

I got the boat flipped over yesterday and today prepped and painted the interior. I prepped the sides and top and painted. Did't worry about ribs and floor since they will be covered anyway. It turned out pretty good I think.

Attachments

• securedownload17.jpg
    securedownload17.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 698
  • securedownload18.jpg
    securedownload18.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 697
Looking for advice on what to use to clean the boat with before painting. I don't really want to use acid. Is there anything a little easier to work with. I plan on lightly sanded, using a safe cleaner, and I bought the Parker Duck Boat Primer.

You could use vinegar/water mix if your worried about using chemicals.....but I would use acetone, right before you plan on spraying.....all surfaces should be clean and oil/dust free before you hit it with some primer. You can then do a light sand over the primer and hit it with a light acetone tack cloth before you spray the paint over the primer. Acetone is your friend when it comes to prep work.

I have heard of many people using white vinegar also. I agree with the acetone wipe and that is what I did. You can definitely tell a difference before and after the acetone wipe. Make your your area is well ventilated. I didn't use the Parker's primer but if it is as good as the paint, it should go on with ease.