plywood semi-V 1352

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks aeviaanah.
the glue is a mix of laminating epoxy and wood flour(very fine sawdust).
paint is water based acrylic latex, leftover from my house renovation.

That's an awesome boat J.P. I have been thinking of building a wooden boat for a while now, Love how you used pots to hold parts down. Where'd ya get those giant clips from, Never seen any that big before just small ones that are used in the office. Those are awesome.

J.D.

Very nice! That's a good design and you did a great job building it. I've recently ordered some lpans to build a wooden boat myself.

J.D.,
thanks. i "rescued" the clips from old files that are on their way to the shredder. the clips aren't that big, i think there is one size bigger than the ones i used. my clips are only No. 0001, 51mm wide. my boat panels just are not that thick. hahaha.

baitcaster,
good luck with your build. please share progress photos. i'd dreaming of getting an aluminum semi-V, but home made boats will always be my first love.

awesome build! About how long did it take you to get from start to finish? And how many hours a day could you work on it?

Definitly keep us posted if you do another. I'd like to do a kayak or floatboat one day. Even bought the plans, then lost them. :(

J.P., the term resourceful barely describes you. That's a work of art you built. I would like to see more pictures of the completed inside when you can. Good fishing to you.

thank you for the kind words.

it's not the prettiest boat, but it does a good job keeping me dry even in choppy water. it takes a good load too, the draft is only between 3-4 inches when loaded with 4 adults, gear and 2 kids, giving me a freeboard of 15 inches or so. that's the beauty of this lightweight and wide design.

i haven't gotten around to finishing the interior. the motor i have now is 2hp only and i car top, so i don't want to add any more weight before i could find a good motor and finish the trailer. only then can i install the appropriate hull reinforcements. after which i can finally do the cockpit, decks and storage.

J.P., you built that boat, not modify an existing store bought hull.

The function is all that matters anyway, and it sits the water nicely. Keep us posted on your progress.

I've looked at this build at least a dozen times. Each time I'm equally impressed. It appears from the pictures you've shared that you did this on a floor in your garage. Not a big wood working shop with lots of fancy tools. This impresses me just as much.

I have a pretty extensive wood shop at home and have been working with these tools for years. Wood working is not something that everyone can do. Also...Building a functioning boat out of wood is not something that every wood worker can do. You have some great skills JP.

Do you have a background in woodworking? Where did you get these skills?

I'm still impressed. =D> =D> =D>

awwww shucks... you're making me blush. :oops:

thank you for the compliments.

i do not have any experience at all. i learned all i know about boats from a local boat building forum and hands on experience. you being a wood craftsman, i think you'd be appalled if i confessed the wood working sacrilage i commited. hahaha. to tell you the truth, a lot of my cuts are crooked, i cover up my mistakes with epoxy putty and my trusty angle grinder.

this is the second boat i made. the first one is prettier to look at, but sucked on the water so decided to make another. i deliberately put a rough finish on the second one so i can enjoy it more and don't grimace everytime i bump or drop something on the shiny surface.

here's a link to the first one i made, in case anybody cares to look (be warned, it's a long thread, since i did step by step updates and there was a lot of discussion, unlike my post here which is just the boat photos). browse and you can also see the other builder's projects
https://pinoyboats.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1068

chattahoochee said:
J.P., you built that boat, not modify an existing store bought hull.
The function is all that matters anyway, and it sits the water nicely. Keep us posted on your progress.

if i had a choice, i'd rather buy a boat. but the way the local water craft market is, i'd have to shell out a small fortune to buy even a used boat here. so i opt to build and get to enjoy what used to be a rich guy's pursuit. it's really fun. my family is crazy about boating, and i'm really satisfied to be able to provide them with that experience.

sharing a few fishing pics on my boat. the smiles made all the trouble worth it.

405.jpg

391.jpg

382.jpg

317.jpg

037.jpg

035.jpg

032.jpg

027.jpg

here's my bro-in-law with his first ever lure caught fish...........
031.jpg

IMPRESSED!!!! You wanted on the water and figured out a way. From the pictures it looks like that little outboard pushes that boat very well with just you aboard. Way to go. =D>

thank you.

low hp requirement is achived by building a very light hull (less than 100lbs). it draws only 1 inch when i'm aboard.

according to my old handheld magellan gps, top speed with the little yammy is 7mph, but that's with the motor screaming at WOT and the wind blowing behind me. my regular cruising speed is 4mph at 3/4 throttle. good enough for a lazy stroll, but i upgraded to 6.5hp so i can spend less time boating and more time fishing. i'm now beefing up the boat so it stays in one piece when paired with the bigger motor. the 2hp will still get a lot of use as my trolling/back up motor.

materials were scrap 5mm marine plywood, push brush handle, and epoxy.

the blade:
DSCF3058-1.jpg

shaft
DSCF3059-1.jpg

slot for the blade. 5mm drill, then saw 2 parallel lines 5mm apart (did i say parallel? :rofl: )
DSCF3060-1.jpg

blade fits nicely
DSCF3061-1.jpg

short piece of the remaining brush handle to make the pommel. i used a hole saw
DSCF3062-1.jpg

slightly bigger hole saw for the end of the shaft. it's supposed to be straight, thank goodness for epoxy.
DSCF3063-1.jpg

not a bad fit after all
DSCF3064-2.jpg

the assembled paddles.
DSCF3065-2.jpg

the inspiration: dragon boat racing is becoming a popular here and i got a chance to borrow one of their paddles, i was amazed at the difference it made compared to using the common plastic and aluminum paddles.
211Cu8HTloL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

of course the blade size and shaft diameter are smaller on mine and made from less than ideal materials, i think it will do for my intended purpose.

everything is epoxied in place, just waiting for consistent good weather for finishing touches.

thanks for reading.....

thanks Jim.

that's right. :LOL2: i remember seeing those on cable food channels. i bet real pizza tastes good. unfortunately, what local shops call pizza here are churned out of conveyor type ovens.......

Latest posts