which type of plywood for decking?

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.
Backslider

Post by Backslider »

I used the 3/4 inch plywood because I have a couple buddies who weight 275 lbs + and I want to put in pedestal seats. I was looking for a bit more strength in the deck. Also, I put blue foam insulation under the deck for flotation, too. That took out the flex in the plywood near the side edges of the sheets.

Another note, I put my carpet down using Liquid Nails and just I've learned, and as another Tin Boats member said, its water soluble and will come loose in the rain. It is and it did. #-o Luckily the rivets are holding it in place well enough to get by this summer.

MNHunter505

Post by MNHunter505 »

Backslider wrote:I used the 3/4 inch plywood because I have a couple buddies who weight 275 lbs + and I want to put in pedestal seats. I was looking for a bit more strength in the deck. Also, I put blue foam insulation under the deck for flotation, too. That took out the flex in the plywood near the side edges of the sheets.

Another note, I put my carpet down using Liquid Nails and just I've learned, and as another Tin Boats member said, its water soluble and will come loose in the rain. It is and it did. #-o Luckily the rivets are holding it in place well enough to get by this summer.
Yea, ended up reading about the carpet glue debate too. So I went and bought some waterproof adhesive from a local carpet shop, called Anchor 986. It's the same difference as Henry's 263 which has been tested waterproof.

As for the plywood, after reading your post, I just don't know, I keep going back and forth. I am only 160 but by buddy is 285. I am thinking that 1/2" would be fine with foam inserts but I am trying to do the same thing you did and put pedestal seats in. So I am guessing I would need that 3/4" plywood to secure the pedestal plates down?
1996 Voyager 70 Series 16ft jon boat, 1979 Evinrude 35hp
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=29553

Scorched

Post by Scorched »

I will probably use polyester resin (fiberglass resin). I have used it in the past for out door projects and it has worked well. Its easy to apply/work with - Set time is very short as well.

Then again, the original tracker wood had no treatment that I can tell and iit was probably good for 10-15 years before it started to break down...doubt if any of us will have the same boat in 10 years, you never know though. Do it once, do it right, right?

MNHunter505

Post by MNHunter505 »

Scorched wrote:I will probably use polyester resin (fiberglass resin). I have used it in the past for out door projects and it has worked well. Its easy to apply/work with - Set time is very short as well.

Then again, the original tracker wood had no treatment that I can tell and iit was probably good for 10-15 years before it started to break down...doubt if any of us will have the same boat in 10 years, you never know though. Do it once, do it right, right?
True, doing it right the first time always is best. You just have to balance that with cost. I plan to use spar urethane but will look at cost to determine that or polyester resin.
1996 Voyager 70 Series 16ft jon boat, 1979 Evinrude 35hp
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=29553

Scorched

Post by Scorched »

I like the polyester resin because if worked with fiberglass for years.

There's more than one way to get it done.