I love my little boat...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10' boat, motor, trailer about 12 - 1500 dollars.
16' bass tracker, motor & tralier about $2500.

10'er can be launched almost anywhere, 16'er needs a ramp.

I had to go with a 14' because of my spinal injury my right leg is about 50% since my sciatic nerve is being pinched.

If I was on a 10' I would be in the water real quick because I'm not longer stable on my feet

Here's another plus: In times of sever weather I can get my boat and both cars in the garage.

It's not the size of the boat but if it fits your needs. My 10'er is really limited by the weather and the size of the water. If my friends did not have bigger boats, I would because part of fishing is being with friends. They have been good to me. My little boat is a way to get on the water on my own. it is a choice that fits my needs. One day I expect my needs to change.

CodyPomeroy said:
Here's another plus: In times of sever weather I can get my boat and both cars in the garage.

I gotta agree with this one - it's awesome to be able to stuff two small cars and a 12' boat and trailer into a 22x25' garage and still have room for all the "usual garage crap" when there's a few feet of snow on the ground.

Very nice not to have a storage unit bill monthly, a shrink-wrapped boat stuck behind a building in the elements, or having to beg storage for it somewhere reasonably close.

(Still doesn't help, I want a 16'er now... :lol: )

I got oars when I first got the boat, primarily because I only had a trolling motor at the start and I might need the oars for backup if my battery ran out of juice. I would strap the oars to the sides of the boat when they were not in use but they were still akward.

I bought a kayak paddle to use for tight places. It is handy when launching or landing the boat and I can fish with the kayak paddle sitting in my lap when I am drifting in and out of the brush along the bank. It works perfect when I am sitting in the front seat of my 10' jon boat. I can slip the rod into a rod holder and quickly small course corrections. If I take the the elecric trolling motor as well as the gasoline outboard, I break the kayak paddle down and it fits out of the way behind the back seat ready for emergencies.

The only time that I take the oars out any more is for small ponds when I leave both motors at home. I still take the kayak paddle to use in tight places and use the oars to get get from point to point.

Small boats can be limiting but they give you a lot of options also.

I am on vacation at Hot Springs Village and rented a 14 Jon Boat with a 9 hp outboard. It felt big and intemedating. I am use to my 10' with a 2.5 hp. The rented boat was very stable with lots of room but it felt awkward and over powered. Mostly I kept it around 5 - 6 mph but I took it up on plane a few times to see what it felt like. It was nice to be to stand up and move around. Maybe in a few years but for now I appreciate the compactness and slowness of my 10'.

nlester said:
I am on vacation at Hot Springs Village and rented a 14 Jon Boat with a 9 hp outboard. It felt big and intemedating. I am use to my 10' with a 2.5 hp. The rented boat was very stable with lots of room but it felt awkward and over powered. Mostly I kept it around 5 - 6 mph but I took it up on plane a few times to see what it felt like. It was nice to be to stand up and move around. Maybe in a few years but for now I appreciate the compactness and slowness of my 10'.

My 14' has a 25hp and that little thing will scoot pretty quick.

It takes a long time to get used to going so fast in a small boat but after doing hours of 50+ on my 19' and 70+ on the jet ski I used to own I am completely comfortable.

It's safe to go fast as long as you know how to control it at those speeds.

My next tin build will be a 1964 square back aluminum canoe. I'll be able to load it myself and go to the smaller lakes. I am making it electric with a wood canoe paddle for back up. I'll post pictures once I get it going.

Latest posts