Carpeting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodeen

Reaction score
Have been looking at all the wonderful rebuilds and I am just amazed at all the cool stuff everyone has done. I am currently working on mine and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a carpet and the adhesive for it? I would like some that is easy to work with bending and folding and all, but still be thick and looking good. I looked at some online but I am not sure what I should get.

Thanks a lot.

Hey there and welcome to the site. The members here are great and full of knowledge. I spent a while trying to decide on carpet. I went from special ordering to gluing it, then eventually went with a roll of indoor/outdoor from home depot and stapled it. It has held up without any issues but I do store my rig in the garage. What I like about stapling is that after it gets worn (id guess its going to be a while) I can just remove and replace. I did seal my plywood with spar.

I guess is all depends on what you are looking to do. Glue it directly to benches or add ply over the benches. I added pedestal bases as well on all 3 benches. I have 2 seats and the middle one can be moved to the front bench if I want more distance from my partner that day (14' flat jon).

Good luck and you will get some great idea on here.

Make sure the carpet is the "no-loop" variety, or you'll be ripping hooks out for a living. If it's going over wood, go with the rubber-backed variety.

I believe Home Depot and Lowes both have marine carpeting, it's not the best, and it's not the cheapest, kinda middle of the road.

Use a solvent based adhesive like weldwood contact cement for the best water resistance. The latex based adhesives get weak when they get wet.

Garage kept and will only see light action on a small river near my house. Finding that this is the biggest question as to what to do for the boat I have found. What kind of carpet, and how to attach to the decking. I will be sealing the deck as soon as I figure out what kind of sealer will work best and best for my budget.

Doing a 12 foot jon and I am not even sure how much carpet to pick up. I figured rubber backing for protection, but that would require gluing and not stapling. What weight would be best. Don't want to buy online and find out its the wrong stuff or the stuff that is hard to work with. Would like to put my hands on it first I guess.

Might have time to worry about this as cold weather is approaching and I assume sealer has a temperature requirement for best applying it.

Bodeen said:
Might have time to worry about this as cold weather is approaching and I assume sealer has a temperature requirement for best applying it.

Both the sealer and carpet adhesives have temperature requirements, nothing below 65*F... and at 65* it'll take a week or longer for each to cure properly.

Why do you even want carpet in a fishing boat? It won't stay nice and it'll get stained.

jigngrub said:
Bodeen said:

Why do you even want carpet in a fishing boat? It won't stay nice and it'll get stained.

It will help deaden the sound, and it will look nicer than just the plywood. Thought about something like Ryno lining, but I dunno.

Bodeen said:
jigngrub said:
Bodeen said:

It will help deaden the sound, and it will look nicer than just the plywood. Thought about something like Ryno lining, but I dunno.

You may want to consider marine vinyl, you can see what it looks like in my boat in this thread.
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27975

You have me very interested in this stuff. Interested to know more. Ease to work with? Glue it down, but even underneath when you wrap it under the deck? Does the adhesive hold well on the wrap. What about wrapping corners like on an opening or door?

Would repel water better than carpet.

Can anyone tell me how hard the vinyl is to work with?

What about kind of carpet to pick up?

Vinyl is nice, I dont think it wraps easy, and seems to defeat the clean look when you have to trim the edges with aluminum angle etc.

Bugpac said:
Vinyl is nice, I dont think it wraps easy, and seems to defeat the clean look when you have to trim the edges with aluminum angle etc.

Vinyl wraps real easy with contact cement, no so much with latex based adhesives... you have to staple the wraps with latex adhesive.
Most people like and compliment on the aluminum trim, you're the first one that hasn't.

Having worked with carpet and vinyl both, I like working with the vinyl better... to me it's a little easier.

It's a piece of cake and as long as you don't leave your boat in the weather 24/7 you do not need top of the line marine carpet

Glue the tops, apply carpet. Let cure then start on trimming the edges. I use glue and staples for the edges/underneath the wood. It will hold like concrete. You can always pull the staples out after its cured

Thanks everyone. I got some carpet and vinyl samples coming in the mail. This begs my next question.

Shopping around I found some Minwax that runs 45 bucks a gallon. Was told it is the best sealant for boat decking.

Now the adhesive for putting down either the carpet or vinyl flooring says to go on a clean surface, no oils etc. How would this sealer affect the adhesive?

i sealed my plywood before laying down sundeck vinyl and it glued nicely.no bubbles or wrinkles so far and i wash it down at the end of every trip it is very durable.if i remember it right it was just under $10 per linear foot and 6' wide, at lowes.

Latest posts