TinBoats 2013 Biggest Loser Challenge!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JMichael said:
Lifting weights will build and tone muscle tissue, and make you look more physically fit, but it's not the main thing to be concerned with when it comes to losing weight. Reducing your daily calorie intake to the proper level for your particular body and increasing your metabolism with a sustained cardiovascular workout of some sort (swimming, jogging, etc), are the 2 main things that will cause you to lose weight. Any exercise that gets your heart rate elevated and keeps it there for 30 minutes to an hour per day will do the trick. Changing your eating habits to 4-5 small meals per day instead of 1-3 big meals will also help.

There was a recent study that indicated that doing weight training helps more than the typical cardiovascular training such as running to lose weight. I did weight training during my working years to help me in my job and was able to maintain my weight and strength, even though I ate like a pig which usually included all the wrong kinds of foods. :shock:

My son on the other hand, eats about four to five small meals a day. He tries to eat the "right" kinds of foods and does occasionally eat the "wrong" kinds of foods which he calls his cheat days.

You're correct in that raising the increasing the heart rate during exercise is good and my son got that through weight training.

Now that I'm retired, I'm maintaining a weight that is about 20 pounds lower than my working weight, but doesn't muscle weigh more than fat? I'm in fairly good shape and have the usual old age issues but am still able to go boating and fishing which is what counts!

BassAddict said:
nomowork said:
JMichael said:
but doesn't muscle weigh more than fat?

5 pounds of muscle = 5 pounds of fat, muscle is just "packaged" nicer

In your snip/edit process, you've changed it so that it looks like I'm that one that said that. So let me fix that for ya.

nomowork said:
but doesn't muscle weigh more than fat?

Muscle tissue is denser than fat cells. It is possible, depending on your exercise/diet, that you could lose inches in the waist/chest but gain weight at the same time. So the end result, you could look smaller but weight more. If your goal is strictly to lose weight, you may not want to use weight lifting as your form of exercise.

Last few days to decide if your going to do something to improve yourself this year, or continue to not be able to tie your shoes or climb a flight of stairs. :LOL2:

C'mon guys, If one suffers we should all suffer. Give it your all until March 1, 2012. That is all I ask.

Just think of how much better your boat will handle AND how much longer your trolling motor battery will last if you lose those pounds.

:LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:

Today is the final day. If you are in for the challenge you must weigh in by midnight tonight with an honest measurement.

Today I am going to feast on Bacon, chips, left over cake. :LOL2:

It is on like Donkey Kong!

Will be weighing in tonight before I go to sleep

Will be eating like a pig up until 0 hour!

I had a stress test in October. Nothing serious but a few red flags. Watching what I eat and resistance bands starting around Thanksgiving. 190 pounds yesterday, down from 200 pounds at Thanksgiving. I workout for 45 minutes M-W-F and do streatching excerises Tues-Thurs-Sat. If I don't do it right when I get out bed, I don't get it done. I am getting the bikes back into shape and walking. Nothing crazy but a hamburger every couple of weeks and a chicken fried steak once a month are real treats. Other than that I watch what I eat but I don't go crazy with the diet. My wife still buys my favorite snacks because she buys things for herself. I don't bring anything home because the temptation is too much and I ration what she buys for me. I have to physic myself out before I get out of bed every morning. Maybe I'll make it, maybe I will not. Going for 165 lbs. 5 foot eight and 70 years old.

My insurance pays for a membership at the local health club but I never seem to make it. I bought a 142 pound set of resistance bands from BodyLastics on Amazon and because they are here, I use them 3 days a week. I started with the basic program. Now I do the basic, intermediate and advanced programs every work out instead of just one program. I think the variety of excercises helps. I have increased the resistance slowly. I don't use a resistance that I have to struggle with. I go with a resistance that tires me out but I do not hurt any where when I get through with my excercise. The hardest excercise is still the modified crunches.

Good stuff nlester - I am gonna do the same sort of routine and 1st thing is best for me as well

As soon as it warms up I will wade the DE river for smallies - a day of that is a real work out fighting that current - put in a few miles so I fish while I loose weight

228.5 and ready to loose (weight) and ready to win (the challenge)

[-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

Count me in.
I'm 248.6 as of today. Goal of 210-220. That's what I weighed in the Marine Corp. Although all the height/weight chart thingys say I should be like 180. I serioulsy doubt that is correct. I'm 5'9".

I'm not in a hurry though. 2 years ago I weighed 280. I figure it took me 20 years to put the weight on. I don't want to go through this again. Seen to many lose it, gain it + more, and repeat.

Hope it's OK to use yesterday's weight- I didn't get to the scale today as I was too busy going out for mexican, eating another Christmas Dinner (this makes 6th one?!?!) and topping it off with some Cookies and Cream Ice Cream and eating reeces pieces as I type this. I'm sure I'm up another few in today's intake alone.

So my starting weight will be on record at 231 (witnessed by a coworker) - Goal will be 206

Edit -I have to ammend my starting weight. On Monday I weighed at 231, but this morning I took off shoes, dropped keys and wallet and have a good starting weight. Officially I'm 227.4 - still want to get to 205.

OK I'm too late for whatever contest but I'm doing this for my own personal health and it helps if you make yourself accountable to others. I weighed 340 in March of 2012. I have back problems from an on the job injury over 29 years ago. It's getting worse so, I started eating better and smaller portions and have lost 28 lbs thus far. With the help of physical therapy I am now starting a work out program. Wife and I joined one of those 24/7 work out gyms 2 weeks ago. I am now 312 lbs and am shooting for a 50 lb loss by the first of June. Long term goal my doctor wants me to lose a 5th grader. :lol: :lol: Actually he said he would like to see me down to 175-180.Heck I'm 6 foot tall and haven't seen 175 for 32 years(What I weighed when I got married) But the wife layed the guilt trip on me by saying "Not only is this for your health but it's for the grandkids you are wanting to teach how to fish and hunt remember". So I'm in if nothing else for moral support either receiving or giving. :)

Saw this to late to join. But good luck to all involved. Lost 50 last year but found 10 during the holidays. Lol

Almost midnight so here is my official weigh in. Good luck to everyone, I hope we all reach our goals.

Untitled_zpsa9296d82.jpg
1/2/13
BL2_zps27f16dda.jpg
1/4/13

Jim said:
Today is the final day. If you are in for the challenge you must weigh in by midnight tonight with an honest measurement.

Today I am going to feast on Bacon, chips, left over cake. :LOL2:

I'm still in like Flynn......where are we posting/tracking out progress?

If I may join,just for fun of it. Last year I weighed in at 200;one year later I'm at 190. My goal is around 175. I have to not be so lazy and lay around after work. It's hard though,after kicking all those kid's butts on the roof all day(I'm 53 and most of them are in their 20s-30s). I come home exhausted. Just have to change my mindset,I guess. Good luck to all of you,hope everyone meets or exceeds their goal this year.

Latest posts