Good Day

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phideux

Reaction score
It was cloudy and cool yesterday, but the wind was down and the ocean was flat. I threw the old Starcraft in the inlet, and cranked her up to head offshore to 3 mile reef. Once I hit the end of the no-wake zone, I got her up to about 30 mph, it was so flat and calm I didn't slow down all the way through the inlet, between the jetties, and out to the reef 3 miles out. I found my spot on the fish-finder, and it looked like a cloud hovering right off the bottom. I dropped down a jig, and hooked up in a second. The reef was covered in black Sea Bass. Of course, Black Sea Bass are off limits here right now, so I caught and released about 20 of them, really nice ones too. I drifted down to another spot and found what I was looking for, The Spiny Dogfish are in. No-one ever talks about the Dogfish bite here, nobody fishes for them, they are considered trash fish. Well I like fishing, when I can go out in the middle of our winter here, and get to catch, almost non-stop, 10-20lb fish, I'll take it. On the plus side, you fillet one of these girls out, they are GOOD. I got about 30 of them up to the boat, every time I got one up, 3 to 4 others followed them to the top. I let them all go but one that I kept for the frying pan. By the time I was done my arms were about worn out.
When the water hits the right temp, these Dogfish come in here to give birth to their pups. All the ones you catch will be fat and pregnant, they are live bearers so sometimes when you catch one and bring them on the boat, they will start squirting out pups, these pups are ready to be born, I just scoop them up and toss them over the side, they swim straight for the bottom as soon as they hit the water.

Latest posts