Which garden tiller to buy

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovedr79

Reaction score
what tiller should i buy????? someone gave me one that didnt run, i got the motor running, but it wont till and the parts to make it work are going to be a couple hundred. so my wife has granted me a PO for a tiller. and i quote "just get a new one, a good one that will last" i want a dual direction rear tine. any suggestions?

How large of a garden are you turning over? I don't know the brand name but we have a small two stroke tiller. It sure beats the pick and shovel routine!

Rear tine is definitely the best way to go if you do much tilling. If you have just a small spot to till, I wouldn't recommend spending that much to get a rear tine but it's your money so you'll have to make the call on that. Read some reviews and and find the one in your price range that other buyers like. Like most things, you can buy the "built like a tank" cadillac model or the no frills "stamped steel" version and the price difference between the two is substantial. I will say this much, I've seen 2 of the craftsman rear tines purchased and neither owner was happy in the end.

i am starting out small this year, but i forsee it growing in size as the summer goes by. i am starting with 25'x25' i have clay/rocky soil so i need a tought built to last tiller. and no it wont be a craftsman. i am looking at the cub cadet and the husvarna with the honda motor.

I use my fathers rear tine Areins tiller,it has to be 20 + years old.Only thing replaced were belts and the tines.
My grandfather(rip)used a Toro,lasted forever as well.
Are gardens aren't monsters but pretty good size approx. 40' square.
Till them early,couples times before winter and use them for the rows.

I got an old troy built (horse mod) 60s year or so /wore out the orig 8hp put a 10 hp about 15y ago.Still going strong Never had to do anything to anything except motor and replace tines once...Bought used about 25y ag sits outside with tub over motor year around paid 100 if I remember right..I never did this but; Troy still I think have a deal that if you pay ship to and fro they will rebuild yours for 1/2 new price..There TANKS...cva34

They ain't cheap

The old troy built were some extremely good tillers. That's what they built their reputation on. Unfortunately they started cutting quality as the years have gone by in order to keep their production cost down and the end product has suffered as a result of it. I'd love to find an old one that was in need of a motor.

Rear tine for sure, make sure it's big enough to drag you if you fall down and hold on to the handles :lol:

definetly. i found a couple troys but they all want about what i have to spend. and the ones i found have been uncared for. a guy i work with has a off brand dual rotation so you get the best of both worlds, digging and the fine soil. i think i am going with the husqvarna DRT900. i will be breaking new ground so i need the digging (counter rotation) and i like the fine soil produced from the forward rotation. i am spending way more than i initially wanted to but i hope it lasts as long as i need it to.

As a professional landscaper I have to say troys can be a very good machine but we only buy high end models I can't speak for lower end stuff

i hear ya. done that many times! but up here on this mountain you almost need a bulldozer.

i ended up buying a husqvarna DRT900H. even got a $50 rebate........ i think i will be happy with this one.

Hanr3 said:
I guess I'm still old school. Spade shovel and a couple of garden rakes still work for me.
Come down here and get you a dose of this black gumbo and you'll do one of three things, get a tiller, make your garden smaller, or have a heart attack. :lol:

I bought a Troy on clearance at Tractor Supply when they were switching brands. I used it for 2 years to till expanded shale into this black gumbo and get the yard easy to work. I sold the tiller and got most of my money out of it when I decided I wanted a fishfinder. The Troy tiller was okay but I am happier with the fishfinder.

Latest posts