everything steelflex

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just called Fasco and asked about a gallon of the regular steelflex(gray). They told me that it costs $142. Is this normal? I have seen prior posts mentioning around $70.

I don't know much about painting and such, but I have an idea. If its possible to paint over steelflex, which we are unsure about, could the durability issue be solved by adding clear coats over the steelflex? That sounds like overkill but hey whynot?

If anybody needs any steelflex check out my website we have been selling fasco products for about 25 years. Also if anybody has any questions about any of their products let me know and I'll help you out. Thanks Jesse

Just curious if anyone knows of a comparable product thatmight be a little cheaper?? Also, I read used to help with leaky rivits...how about cracks lol should I call a welder?

I go my hands on a old boat that someone put fiberglass across the bottom. there was numerous stress cracks that they had patched but sometime they put fiberglass across the bottom. Im pretty sure if they bought the resin from the local area i know it is a poly resin (epoxy not easily avail i tried when i built a boat) Should i remove the fiberglass from the bottom of the boat and then apply the flexsteel or maybe remove current fiberglass and replace with fiberglass and epoxy resin then put flexsteel over

So I just got my steelflex in the mail. It was $88.66 for a gallon shipped to Montana.

I opened the package and the cans had been really dinged up. The can that says "part num: 2 neutral" was cracked open and a little had gotten out.

Its too late today to call Fasco, I was just wondering if this is a big deal or not? I hammered the top of the can down to seal it back up. I don't know if the stuff is still good or not.

Anyone know?

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    773.9 KB · Views: 8,742
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    921 KB · Views: 8,742
Just talked to Jerry. He said I can just use masking tape or something to keep it in the jar if I need to. I guess its not a big deal if its sealed or not.

The procedure he told me was to sand with 60 grit sandpaper and then wipe with acetone before applying.

Got mine last week and got the green tint.

A couple years ago I did the bottom of a customers pontoon boat. He has some serious corrosion and some pitting. I sand blasted the bottom of the pontoons and wiped clean with acetone. I rolled on two layers and let it cure. The customer took the boat out and it has worked great for 2 years now.

I have my 18' hanging now and I plan on getting the sand blaster cranked up and get it all cleaned up. Then I have some small holes to repair with epoxy. Once that is done, I'll apply the steel flex and then I should be good to go!

Bottom is completely sand blasted. Its iced up down here so I have not been able to put the steel flex on. I epoxied some of the holes and will have to sand those, but I should be able to get it covered in the next 2 weeks.

I did this on the bottom of a pontoon boat and it worked like a champ.

Well that's a nifty setup. Definitely wait for it to warm up before using the steelfex.

I ordered my steelflex from fiberglass supply, and have yet to apply. I see a whole lot of people saying that they had success with this product, but not a lot of people posting pictures of their finished product!!! I was planning on applying it in white. PLEASE someone post post up some pictures of white applied!!!!..... PLEASE [-o< [-o< [-o<

Well, my dad ordered the steel flex since I'm too busy at work. He thought he was doing a good thing and ordered their newest product with teflon in it.
I'll say this, it does not apply like the original. I had a pretty hard time applying it while the boat was hanging. This new stuff would be best applied while the boat was turned upside down. I did get it on and I believe it will work, but not the prettiest. Also, I thought I had enough color in it......
I ended up with a see through sea foam green color. I hope it grows on me.

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1393701678333.jpg[/attachment]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1393701678333.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1393701678333.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 9,657
[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1393701698930.jpg[/attachment]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1393701698930.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1393701698930.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 9,657
[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1393701718716.jpg[/attachment]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1393701718716.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1393701718716.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 9,657
As you can see the color did not come out as planned. Also it did not go on very smooth. My dad was brushing it on in the corners of the chines and I was rolling it over everything. I tried to go back over his brush marks, but I didn't get them all. I'm more concerned with the boat not leaking, which I believe I have accomplished.

Latest posts