1984 Suzuki DT25

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riverduck

Reaction score
Hi All,

First off, amazing site. I am just starting my build (16 foot Crestliner) but before I get to the Boat I am trying to get my motor in shape first. I bought a 25 hp Suzuki for 500 bucks and want to tune it up. I am not a motor expert and have zero experience working on them. I have looked at ton of posts and followed the advice found there before I bought the motor. COmpression was solid at 105 in each cylinder, motor has been maintained, reasonably clean, winterized, etc. The pee stream is a little sputtery so I know I should change the impellor. My issue is that determining the serial number on the motor. I have found the plate on top of the transom clamp and the only number I found there was DT25-20034. When I phoned the suzuki dealer I am told that this is not enough characters to be the serial number. There are no other numbers or letters on the plate with DT25-20034.

Is there somewhere else I should look? The one thing the dealer mentioned is I might have to go to the states for the parts ( I am in Canada). The guy I bought the motor from said it was an 84.

Can anyone offer some help who knows suzukis? Also, any other tips on what I should do to make sure it is ready for the water?

Chris

You can try an outboard parts website...such as boats.net or marine engine.com. I was looking on boats.net and there are only two model numbers listed for an 84 Suzuki...try looking at the diagrams there and see if they match what u got...also my Johnson has a model number on the right side of the block towards the back...maybe yours does too

X2 what Alan said about checking the block for the full serial number. There might be an aluminum boss on the engine block with a number impressed upon it. Good luck!

Here is the plate on my dt25 think its an 87 model . https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc/suzuki/dt25.asp
hope the link helps too.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367281102362.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367281102362.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 939
  • uploadfromtaptalk1367281122638.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367281122638.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 939
Yep, as in the pic. that will be the info you will need for parts. As a heads up those carbs are super sensitive on those motors. Where 1/4 turn on the adjustments on most makes usually won't make much difference it could and usually will make a big difference on them. Also synchronization of the carbs. is imperative with them.

Latest posts