Mercury 2.5hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgaengineer

Reaction score
Anyone using this motor on a Jon boat? I picked one up at a decent price...not expecting a speedboat, but hope it has enough juice to push a 1232. I did put it on the back of a friends water logged Pelican Intruder and it seemed to do ok considering the boat weighed about 300 pounds full of water between the hull halves.

Push it? No problem. It's roughly equal to a mid sized trolling motor, 55-60 lbs thrust.

I think there is an advantage to running a gasoline powered boat, if the areas you fish allow it. A similar boat powered by say a 55lb trolling motor leaves the dock at the same time you do. Both of you put around all day at nearly the same speeds. The electric boat runs out of battery power it's time to break out the oars. If your little gas motor runs dry it is possible to either VERY carefully fill the OB from a spare gas can, or find a place to land the boat and refill.

You won't be planing around the lake at 40 knots but it will certainly get the boat moving.

That's all I need! I wanted to do a little shoreline fishing and some river fishing, since the boat will be loaded in the back of my truck I didn't want a heavy motor to lug around at boat ramp. At 40 pounds it's not much heavier than a battery.

You may be surprised how well it will do getting from dock d to cove c. The more level the load the better. I once had a 1.5 that would move a 14/48 better than it did a 14/36 because of the wider surface area.

I bought a 3.5 for a 14/48 and will manage to get on the water someday. New motor so I won't really know how well it will do until the first 10 hours are up.

I wish I could have gotten a 1236 but they didn't have them at the store and I'm not even sure they carry them. My next purchase will be a trailer.

Mercury 2.5 will push ALOT better than a 55 lb thrust trolling motor.....I have both and I also have a new to me 1232 but I havent tried the 2.5 on the Jon.......I have had the 2.5 on a coleman scanoe (120 lbswith seat) many times and it pushed the scanoe alot faster than my new 55 lb thrust Minn kota....you can see the scanoe and 2.5 merc in action going down the roanoke river if u click here,,,,

https://mackinncblog.blogspot.com/2011/04/rockfish-capital.html

video of motor pushing canoe is 4th picture down...Mack

Mack in N.C. said:
Mercury 2.5 will push ALOT better than a 55 lb thrust trolling motor.....I have both and I also have a new to me 1232 but I havent tried the 2.5 on the Jon.......I have had the 2.5 on a coleman scanoe (120 lbswith seat) many times and it pushed the scanoe alot faster than my new 55 lb thrust Minn kota....you can see the scanoe and 2.5 merc in action going down the roanoke river if u click here,,,,

https://mackinncblog.blogspot.com/2011/04/rockfish-capital.html

video of motor pushing canoe is 4th picture down...Mack

This is good to hear, looks like some great fishing you did!

Took the boat to the pond last night and wife and I caught 2 cats...fun!

Latest posts