hi guys got a 93 evinrude 70 hp with issues

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOB350RX

Reaction score
a friend of mine just bought this boat, and has had it out 2 times so far, at full throttle runs great nice and smooth no issues, but at trolling speed this thing really fogs for mosquitos. it has an oil injection system( i dont care for personally) on it, but thats besides the point, can he (we) eliminate this and just mix the oil and gas so we know for sure that its getting the correct mix, we burned up 4 gallons of gas and it used 1 quart of oil, i havent sat down to really figure out what ratio that works out to but it stalled several times trolling, afraid its gonna foul plugs and be a real pain to fish outta, if ya got any tips or even know what possibly wrong with it any help would be greatly appreciated,

Yes the VRO system can be removed and a 70hp is not designed to be trolled with. My advice is get a kicker for 300-500 bucks and save the wear and tear on the 70hp

A quart of oil to 4 gallon of gas was well over twice too much oil so there is your smoking issue. But it was better that way than shutting down.

My mechanic told me once that the newer Johnson/Evinrude oil inject pumps were designed to seriously over oil when they went out as opposed to the old ones that didn’t and burn the motor up.

That ratio would be 16:1, likely since the motor is water cooled it is designed to be ran at 32:1. With today's newer and better oils you can probably get away with 50:1. I would bypass the oil injection and use premix at a ratio of 32:1.

cgaengineer said:
That ratio would be 16:1, likely since the motor is water cooled it is designed to be ran at 32:1. With today's newer and better oils you can probably get away with 50:1. I would bypass the oil injection and use premix at a ratio of 32:1.

i have always run 50:1 only thing i have ever run 32:1 in was an air cooled 2 stroke ie: weedeater or push mower. need more oil cause it runs hotter and needs more lube but with a water cooled engine runs a lil cooler so you can run a leaner mix. i have put several replies on here but for some reason they r not showing up... but he topped off the tank in 2 trips he used 8 gallons of fuel and 2.5 quarts of oil works out to like 10.5:1 :shock: . i got a few things to try before i do anything drastic to it soo we'll see

if it was my boat i would put a kicker on it but it not mine, it actually trolls very well but for the smoking...lol. pretty sure i have him talked into a kicker but not till next year. my buddy is trying to get back on his feet he lost a beautiful 16' starcraft in a garage fire, along with everything else, tools, fishing tackle, so and soforth, and got really boned by the insurance agency... but got enough to get a newer boat and garage rebuilt. gonna check for any fuel line leaks have been readin up on the vro setup on this and any leaks can cause it to run super rich, so ill look it over for him and see what i come up with before i bypass the oil injection. thanks guy for the info.

50:1 is the correct mix for a 1993 johnson.........not 16 or 32. And yes you are on the correct path looking for leaks cause that very well could be the culprit if over oiling.

I have a 95 70hp evinrude and we run ours at 40:1. We did away with the oil pump due to having 2 of them fail and blow the motor. I would recommend doing the same. I like running it at 40:1 because I gives peace of mind knowing that my engine is getting plenty of oil.

well we bypassed the vro and mixed the fuel 50:1, took it out on a new test run ran like a champ never sputtered or skipped a beat, started better didnt load up trolling. think the problem is solved, this winter its gonna get a good goin over. thanks everyone for the ideas and suggestions, happy fishing!!!

Latest posts