New Boater.. Questions and Concerns.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first time really into boating. :shock:
Im unsure of even how to begin.. I wish we had a "Boating Basics" page..
I have my (new to me) boat. the motor (2-stroke) starts and runs. Not sure the age of motor (1990's?). but has last seasons fuel in the tank, or perhaps many seasons-old. I know I should replace this fuel, (where do I empty this fuel?!) What about the oil in the motor? it there a way to drain and put fresh? or is it necessary?

The boat itself I believe is a 1996 Lund 14' with a side console.

Im putting the boat in the water this weekend for the first time, ever. and am pretty nervous.
your most basic info for boating I would love to hear. checking fuel tanks, motor mechanisms, etc.
What should I avoid doing?
How do I make sure everything is up to snuff?
What is your routine around the start of boat season?

[-o< Please Tinboats's finest.. your wisdom is needed.

~~Mitch

start with a boaters safety class. find a friend or someone near you that will walk you through the basics. drain the fuel out by removing a fuel line and drain into a container. pour on weeds in your driveway. make sure there are no cracks in the fuel lines. put a new fuel filter on. if the motor is a two stroke it will not have any crankcase oil. if if has a premix resavoir pull the line and drain that into a container. replace with new. you will also want to replace the lower unit oil. there is a drain screw usually a flat head near the bottom. drain and fill with fresh lower unit oil. make sure you have the required reqistration documents and safety equipment. life jackets, fire extinguisher, whistle etc....

Lots of good info online although not specifically Canadian, still applicable to safe and common practice:

https://www.safeboatingcard.com/Manual/

Canadian specific:

https://www.boaterexam.com/canada/education/

A few things I tell all new boaters:

1. Wear your PFD/life preserver
2. Slow down - This gives you more time to make a good decision
3. Float plan - Tell someone where you are going and when you plan to be back
4. Have an idea of the weather and the water conditions
5. Have fun!!

Thanks for the great replies so far! I'm going to dig into those links, :D I'm not sure how it is in the States, but in Canada its mandatory to take the course to get a "Boat License" ~~I've taken this! I just still feel very uneasy! In other news.. I did catch some decent walleye from shore today! :)

I will of COURSE be taking everything super safe. slow and steady, :) every last buckle done on the pfd 8)

Im going to ask what seems like a silly question. Where do I purchase things like a fuel filter, and lower unit oil? :|

I dont know how this slipped in here...

Thanks again,
~~Mitch

REALLY - Dump the old 2 cycle gas on weeds?

DO NOT DO THIS - where do you think that gas and oil ends up eventually? - IN your water!

Use the old gas in less ryticial equipment (I use mine in my 2 cycle weed wacker) or take it to a proper facility to recycle (call your local government if you do not know or ask at a service station)

Things to avoid doing:

1. Never run your motor without water - either muffs clamped on the water intake or actually in the water

2. Always make sure your gas is mixed with the proper amount of 2 stroke oil. No need for perfection but if you err in teh mixture ALWAYS err on the side of a little more oil.

3. Do change your spark plug(s)

4. Carry a good plug with you "just in case"

5. Do grease your trailer bearings often

I will let some of our members join in with added tips

Welcome! Nice boat :)
I would suggest visiting a local boat dealer and get to know them. If you arent really comfortable with your motor, bring your rig to the dealer and they can walk you through it. Most dealers are good about this as they see it as a small investment to have you as a customer to either service your motor or for you to buy parts,oils, etc.

Nice looking rig you have there.
The motor looks like a 30hp 3 cylinder Yamaha,very nice and desirable motor.

I'm not sure how much you know about the motor;trolling motors;batteries;etc?
I'd get to know the motor a bit better;if you know nothing about them...to expensive to fix and things can go bad by doing silly things.Not sure if that motor mixed it's own oil at one time but maybe it has been removed and now you would have to add oil to the gas to get the right mixture(50:1).

Sounds like you had it going?
Hope you had water going through it,or your impellor could be bad(cooling water...peeing?)
You might not have to do anything to the old gas(how old is it?).I get away with using gas that's 3-4 months old,although there's no ethanol in it.
Batteries have to be charged,you might have 2.(electric start,fishfinder etc. and trolling motor.)
Theres lots to learn,don't get over whelmed...forums are a good source of learning.
Google small craft regulation Canada,it will have the information about what you need to be on the water(documentation,registration,safety equipment etc.)

Hey Everyone, :) I will have to look into changing sparkplugs.. or at least carrying an extra..
Yes it is exactly a 30hp 3cylinder! I got quite lucky and it is super clean. The engine still has the premix-y thing.. :p in the engine compartment, ( I have been told low hours on the engine.. but...who really knows)
I ran the engine with the Gentlemen selling it, hooked up with a garden hose to a pair of.. "ear muffs!" :lol:
He is a mechanic, and had the boat the last 7 years...
There was 2 batteries, but the "Nautilus" branded deep cycle battery didn't come back this year. So I'm looking at the Costco type for replacement (Deep cycle Marine!) $90 ish..
I am looking at an on board charger to add as well, Friend works at Cabela's and said he'd grab a two bank charger for me.. that will help me remember to have the batteries charged and maintained regularly!

The Motor has two tabs on the "transom mount".. not sure really what each is for.. and for when to use them...One SEEMS like a trim adjustor, and one lets me swing the motor all the way up and lock it with a tab on another part of the engine.

I really have felt overwhelmed. but your responses and near constant research the last few weeks is slowly helping me. this Community at Tinboats seems really great!

Thanks again, any more noob tips are greatly appreciated.
~~Mitch

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=315602#p315602 said:
TheMaestro » Today, 05:39[/url]"]Welcome! Nice boat :)
I would suggest visiting a local boat dealer and get to know them. If you arent really comfortable with your motor, bring your rig to the dealer and they can walk you through it. Most dealers are good about this as they see it as a small investment to have you as a customer to either service your motor or for you to buy parts,oils, etc.

This. Yes... I would love to do that.
My friends dad is a boat dealer.. and we talked a lot about an alumacraft MV 1648.. I dont think he was happy when I went used. . . . :?

Take your buddy who's the boat dealer out with you on your first trip.

Watch and learn. You'll pick up loading and driving tips that you won't find on the internet. All boats are different

Ps: your ruined now :grin:

Update guys, I have an important question. Today I got my own "Motor Flusher" and when hooked up.. my motor would NOT react to anything with the electric start... but as soon as I pulled the rope start backup.. it started right away... ran very well and smooth. turned the choke off and it even got smoother. AFTER the motor was started by hand, the side console throttle's Key was able to turn the motor off, as well as turn the choke on and off. (not sure if thats related)

Mind you.. this electric start worked when the previous owner did it.

Does this sound like a battery issue? It worked my fish finder fine... and when I temporarily plugged it into the trolling motor.. it ran that seemingly well. but the battery appears to have come into use in 2005.

OR.. is there something very stupid I am doing? I have the key and the engine kill thing all hooked up.. but is there... a button I need to press? a switch I need to have on for the electric start?
I had the choke lever on the engine pulled out when trying to electric start it for the first time... and that was it?

Tomorrow I am going over with a battery charger to plug it on the battery to see if perhaps it was low....
is there anything else?

~~Mitch

I would say that the battery has been used all it that it can be. It is 8 years old and I think it is time to replace it. That my be part of your starting problem. You are a very lucky young man to have a nice bout like that. Just don't be in too much of a hurry in preparing of a float trip on the water, be safe and have fun. Keep your wits about you at all times. Don

Try using jumper cables from your tow vehicle if the battery is a 12vdc. I've done this a couple of times. Many marine batteries don't last very long unless you keep a charger/maintainer on it. I have three boat batteries that are on a charger when not in use and they are way past their warranty period.

As far as boating help, try YouTube. I've learned a lot from their videos.

I did start up a question in the "motor" section, but I think this has turned out to be an electrical issue.. bad connections or something.. #-o

Might be cleaning connections today..just have to find all of them :shock:
~~Mitch

If it's starts with a pull,that would be good enough for me.
It is to nice a boat to not get it wet.
Make sure it has the right amount/type of oil in the gas and give it a try.
Don't be to worried about things going bad.
Stick close to the launch going slow and you will figure it out.
Play safe:)

Latest posts