Clam

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HANGEYE

Reaction score
So, I went to Gander Mountain this morning and bought a Clam Big Foot 4000T. I get it home and "POP" it up in the back yard. I went inside and was very impressed with the size of this shelter. As I am standing inside, a fair gust of wind blows and the top of the shelter POPS back down and almost clips me on the noggin. I push the top back up and the next gust of wind pops it back down. I looked it over and the flexable rods that are supposed to hold the top up by bowing outward, are bowing inward. Back in the box it goes and back to Gander Mountain I go. They set it up in the store and agree it is not right. They then open another box (same product) and it is defective in the same way. My money is refunded on the spot. They make a call to Clam to report the problem and take my home phone number to let me know what is going on. I just got a call from Gander Mountain with the following news. "Clam is very sorry for my experience and they are going to see if a recall of this shelter is necessary. To make things right for me, they are going to do what ever it takes to get me a fully and properly functional shelter ... get this ... for HALF THE ORIGINAL PRICE". They (Clam) are also going to give me a "3" year warrenty to boot. I love Gander Mountain and am now a loyal customer of Clam.

BRING ON THE ICE.

Jeez I hate to be the one to ask, but are we dealing with some operator error here? :LOL2:

I've had several of the "Pop up" tents. The 'stays' are inserted manually on most.
Were your 'stays' Sewn in? Couldn't have been re-set to bow outwards? :?

No operator error on this one. You pull it out of the bag and "POP" it up. No assembly or adjustment required. The stays are factory installed and held in place with velcro straps. When I took it back to Gander Mountain, the folks there, 3 of them, all with experience with this type of "POP UP" checked it out while one of them was on the phone with a rep from Clam. Confermed to be a manufacturer defect.

UPDATE;

Well, I got a call from Gander today, my pop up is here. Went to pick it up and had them set it up in the store. IT HAS THE SAME PROBLEM AS THE OTHER 2. The good folks at Gander offered me a Jason Mitchel version for a deep discount. Had them set it up in the store and ...... THE TOP WOULDN'T STAY UP ON IT EITHER. I am waiting for a response from Clam as I have sent them an E-mail with my concerns. If any of you are thinking of buying one of Clams products, check it out, check it out top to bottom before you spend a penny. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up.

Latest posts