Under 8 months to FULL retirement. At least, that's the plan

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=337025#p337025 said:
DMGO » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:20 am[/url]"]Here's an update as of today: I have this part-time gig (8-12 hours a week) that pays really well. The work is easy, BUT, I still have to show up 2 or 3 days a week for it. I have a federal pension from doing 32 years with the government. The spouse and I BOTH collect Social Security. So, What to do? I LIKE having a pocket full of cash to buy anything I want...If I stop working altogether, the pocket cash will be down a LOT, but then all time is my own. Really don't know what to do...
That's simple..... do whatever you **** well please !!! Sounds like you've got a choice between the better of 2 good situations !!! That's an enviable place to be in at your tender age. :wink: If you don't mind the work and it doesn't rain on your days off, then I'd work as long as I enjoyed it and there was no stress or pressure in my life that was job related. The operative word in this equation is "RETIRED"

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=337042#p337042 said:
DocWatson » 57 minutes ago[/url]"]
DMGO » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:20 am[/url]"]Here's an update as of today: I have this part-time gig (8-12 hours a week) that pays really well. The work is easy, BUT, I still have to show up 2 or 3 days a week for it. I have a federal pension from doing 32 years with the government. The spouse and I BOTH collect Social Security. So, What to do? I LIKE having a pocket full of cash to buy anything I want...If I stop working altogether, the pocket cash will be down a LOT, but then all time is my own. Really don't know what to do...
That's simple..... do whatever you **** well please !!! Sounds like you've got a choice between the better of 2 good situations !!! That's an enviable place to be in at your tender age. :wink: If you don't mind the work and it doesn't rain on your days off, then I'd work as long as I enjoyed it and there was no stress or pressure in my life that was job related. The operative word in this equation is "RETIRED"
Thanks for that. Think I'll just keep the part-time gig just a little longer.

DMGO » Today, 04:20[/url]"]Here's an update as of today: I have this part-time gig (8-12 hours a week) that pays really well. The work is easy, BUT, I still have to show up 2 or 3 days a week for it. I have a federal pension from doing 32 years with the government. The spouse and I BOTH collect Social Security. So, What to do? I LIKE having a pocket full of cash to buy anything I want...If I stop working altogether, the pocket cash will be down a LOT, but then all time is my own. Really don't know what to do...

I retired with an income of roughly half of my normal working income. Yes, it looks like it would be difficult but to tell the truth, I have more play toys now than when I was working!

The main reason it was possible was that I invested in my retirement by making sure my son could live on his own. :D

Remember, you can't buy back time.

Good luck.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=337047#p337047 said:
nomowork » 1 minute ago[/url]"]
DMGO » Today, 04:20[/url]"]Here's an update as of today: I have this part-time gig (8-12 hours a week) that pays really well. The work is easy, BUT, I still have to show up 2 or 3 days a week for it. I have a federal pension from doing 32 years with the government. The spouse and I BOTH collect Social Security. So, What to do? I LIKE having a pocket full of cash to buy anything I want...If I stop working altogether, the pocket cash will be down a LOT, but then all time is my own. Really don't know what to do...

I retired with an income of roughly half of my normal working income. Yes, it looks like it would be difficult but to tell the truth, I have more play toys now than when I was working!

The main reason it was possible was that I invested in my retirement by making sure my son could live on his own. :D

Good luck.

You can't buy back time, "Love it" You are so right sir. Nobody on there death bed says I wish I had more money, they say I wish I had more time. Time for family, fishing, friends. I would retire today if I could.

This was my first year of retirement. Experienced fishing local lakes (mainly for bass) when everyone else was working, awesome! Also 2 DIY trips with my wife, first to the Minnesota's Boundary Waters Canoe Area and then a 10 day pack-in into Montana's Bob Marshall Wilderness (with our own stock), also rode & camped by the Yellowstone River in and just north of Yellowstone National Park. Already planning to return to the BWCA and hope to cross the Bob Marshall in 2014; also plan to spend more time fly fishing out of my grumman canoe, put some more bass & walleye in the boat, and get more ice fishing done. To make this lifestyle affordable my vehicles & boats & camper are all vintage and are in top working order. :D

I'm about there too. Be 65 this week, but trying to hold out at least one more year. Cain't buy back time, eh? Hmmmm, that's a good one! Since I'm my own boss almost, me work is at me own schedule, but still work.

Keep the advice coming y'all retired boys, we need it!

April 30th, 2014 should be my last I pray. I've worked at my job for 37 years at the same company. Went thru 2 buyouts in that time and I'm ready to quit dealin with the changes. 32 of those 37 years I spent behind the wheel of a tractor and trailer. More than likely I'm going to get a part-time job for a while because I'll just be 55 when I retire and I can only fish so much. :lol: I'm hopin maybe Cabelas here locally will need a fishin expert of my caliber. :lol: Besides the wife has to work at least 5 more years before she will be eligible to retire so we can be able to enjoy ourselves.

My wife gets to call it quits on sept 9th 2014 she will have spent 37 years in the army reserve 18 of them on active duty
she will also leave her gov. civilian job with 25 plus years
I have to put in 5 or 6 more years at my job with the local power company that will give me 30 years
I will be 56 when I call it quits and cant wait I want to spend more time fishing and don't want to ever be out in the cold again so ill become a snow bird and follow the warm weather FLA here we come for the winters at lest

Redbug, I know what you mean. I worked for 35 years, most of it as an outside technician for Ma Bell. I can't imagine doing that type of work again but then again I was much younger and dumber at the time!

:roll: I've been on disability for the past 8 yrs but my official retirement began just a few days ago.. On the 22nd of may. wooot.. let the good times rolll..

The main reason it was possible was that I invested in my retirement by making sure my son could live on his own.

nomowork - that made me laugh because I retired about three weeks ago and two weeks later my son stopped by and touched me for a "loan".

You are so right that you can't buy back time. I retired 2 1/2 years early and the question of how much is time worth was the main one. I worried a lot about it before and by about day three of retirement stopped worrying. After about the second week I had already lost track of time. You can't believe how awesome it is to wake up every day and decide what you want to to.

Something in our country is screwed up! I can draw SS now and would be comfortable enough to retire. My wife can draw SS in14 mos. But how the heck do you retire when you don't have medical insurance? I've got to work until I'm 67 when my wife is old enough for medicare. HUMMMM>>>> 62 for social security but 65 for medicare. Something smells behind the outhouse!! =D> Let's all give the government a big hand! :BS:

Dawg

Have y'all noticed, we don't get a check for our first month, and our estate has to return our last check? The ssi gets to keep 2 payments from everyone...EVERYONE. That's a nice chunk of change. I need to tell my son to keep me breathing till after the first of the month. LOL

I feel like a spring chicken after reading this thread!

Just passed my 24th year today and thats the official date for me to be able to retire without penalty on my pension.

Looking to do 6 more years and that will give me a 60% indexed pension at age 55.

Drop me a note, I'd be willing to take your job, so I can retire and start working 2/3 days a week with extra cash coming in! What type of work will I be doing?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=364595#p364595 said:
10sne1 » Yesterday, 21:06[/url]"]Drop me a note, I'd be willing to take your job, so I can retire and start working 2/3 days a week with extra cash coming in! What type of work will I be doing?

DSCN3598.jpg

Search and rescue, RCAF.

:)

Latest posts