Bowfishing in VA or NC! Need some advising.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiverBottomOutdoors

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Looking to make some trips to unfamiliar waters for bowfishing this year. If anyone can tell me some decent waters in VA or NC to try I'd really appreciate it.

I normally bowfish Kerr Lake (AKA Buggs Island) and it's tributaries. Last year I hit Lake Gaston and Leesville Lake. Plan on hitting Smith Mountain Lake this year.

I primarily like to shoot carp. But do take gars as well.

Thanks,

Jonah

look up hogg island in va., we used to hit the appomattox alot and now that i am up in the shenandoah valley we hit the shenandoah.

Come on out to Missouri, I could show ya some good waters:D. Not much help for VA or NC though, sorry.

Aquia creek off of the Potomac River is great bowfishing for carp, gar and snakeheads.

We dont have any snake heads in my waters that I know of. Never seen or caught one. I hate to poop on n e bodys party but I gotta give my opinion on bow fishing. I believe its for people who cant fish and never had any skills or patience to catch n e thing but what really burns me up is one time I was pullin my boat out and the guy waiting to put in was bow fishing. Dude had a 55 gallon drum with like 10 or so gar and about 3 or 4 carp from the day before that was rotten and stinking. He said he was just going to dump em back into Green river. That ran all through me! 1 he wasted gar. They are 1 of the 2 fish I love to eat. 2 he was dumping that mess back into the river. I had to leave in a hurry to keep from beating this guy to death. Thats like me killin deer for fun because I dont eat em. I catch gar all summer long juggin in the river to eat. If youve never had it then please try it because it taste just like chicken. salt water a day in the fridge then freeze it about a week before you cook it so itll be tender and fry em up like anything else. Gotta eat em while their hot because it turns rubbery.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=343925#p343925 said:
jonboatboy » Today, 7:16 am[/url]"]We dont have any snake heads in my waters that I know of. Never seen or caught one. I hate to poop on n e bodys party but I gotta give my opinion on bow fishing. I believe its for people who cant fish and never had any skills or patience to catch n e thing but what really burns me up is one time I was pullin my boat out and the guy waiting to put in was bow fishing. Dude had a 55 gallon drum with like 10 or so gar and about 3 or 4 carp from the day before that was rotten and stinking. He said he was just going to dump em back into Green river. That ran all through me! 1 he wasted gar. They are 1 of the 2 fish I love to eat. 2 he was dumping that mess back into the river. I had to leave in a hurry to keep from beating this guy to death. Thats like me killin deer for fun because I dont eat em. I catch gar all summer long juggin in the river to eat. If youve never had it then please try it because it taste just like chicken. salt water a day in the fridge then freeze it about a week before you cook it so itll be tender and fry em up like anything else. Gotta eat em while their hot because it turns rubbery.

I asked for advice on bowfishing locations...not your personal take on it. A lot of people think jugging is for people who can't catch fish. You're welcome to take a look at my website and facebook page if you need some proof that I know how to catch fish. I eat garfish, so don't get on here assuming that I don't know where the bear shits.

jonboatboy why would you knock bowfishers in the bowfishing thread? I don't understand. every thing I take from the river goes in my freezer and feeds my family. I fish hook and line as well and know how to do it. theres just different techniques for different types of fish. you should also know the the northern snakehead is an invasive species and need to be eradicated from our waters

Im sorry fellas. Honestly I shouldve said it different. Old dude at the river was the only bow fishing rig ive ever seen or anyone I had talked to that done it. The only point I was trying to make is that I hate to kill a fish. It drives me nuts to acendently kill one let alone just see em goto waste. I truly am sorry for offending yall and sterio typing bow fishermen. Juggin however is no different then useing a rod and reel except the fact that you dont set the hook and fish dont break the line. They still have the choice to take the bait vs gettin shot unexpected. Lol.

ALL ROD AND REEL[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1394179125399.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1394179137858.jpg[/attachment]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1394179125399.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1394179125399.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 8,884
  • uploadfromtaptalk1394179137858.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1394179137858.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 8,884
I agree with what you said about wasting fish, especially dumping remains back in the river...........but now on to the other. As far as not having any skills, I suggest you pick up a bow and try it sometime before you go bashing [-X . Gar are one of my favorite fish to eat also, carp is not bad either, if you clean it good. Carp also makes a great cut bait for catfish, which is what I use most of them for. Even most tournaments have some sort of disposal set up. A few I know of donate to local farmers for fertilizer. Most bowfishers I've met or talked to are a good bunch of people who don't like waste either, so please don't judge the sport based on one jerk at the ramp. It's guys like him that give the sport a bad name, sadly they do exist. I could go on about invasive species over running rivers and impoundments too, but I'm done ranting.

Latest posts