DrNip's Weld-Craft 1248 - Hit 32.1 MPH!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha it won't be ready in 3 weeks. I wish. The motor is going to take 2-3 weeks to get in. Still have to get it wet with the live well full to determine what length trolling motor to get as well as where to place the livewell drain hole. Then got to pick up a fish finder. Some time in April it's looking like.

Lol. I hear ya. Lucky for you there is a tourney in April also. Lol.
Speaking of live well, I need to get mine in working order.

Slow motion but progress. Got the deck prepped, primed and painted.

Boat 25.jpg
Boat 23.jpg
Boat 24.jpg

Ordered one of the new Minnkota Precision onboard chargers. Snagged a 2 bank off line for $156 shipped. Add in the $20 rebate and I scored it for $136. :)

Will do. Couldn't pass it up for that price. Here is the link to the charger if anyone is interested. Ordered late Wednesday night, shipped on Thursday and due to arrive on the following Tuesday.

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/Minn-Kota-Mk212pc-2-Bank-X-6-Amp-Precision-Charg-p/min1832120.htm?CartID=1

I have a setup like your livewell and made a stand pipe to fit the inlet hole .I can get a natural flow of 5 1/2 inches of water in the well. I then put a pump to put more water or just put a little O-2 into the well. even in the hot summer I never had a problem with dead fish. The stand pipe take care of the over flow. water will be sucked out when under way so put the stand pipe in when using the outboard. use a rubber plug to seal around the standpipe. Don't know how to send pictures or I would. That's one nice boat, but really heavy. I checked with a dealer in Quicy IL and they were cheaper than your's but no live well.

Nothing wrong with the Tohatsu they make most motor under 20-25 hp including Rude. and buy in online like I did was a cost saver. I went with a 9.8 Tohatsu electric start in sept 2013 4 stoke. , took some getting use to after a Johnson for 18 years, not a lot of difference but some. Before buying a tohatsu check and make sure some one in your area will service it, they have a 5 year warranty. My closest dealer is 35 miles from me. The 4 stroke doesn't have the hole shot as the 2 stroke. but the gas use is nothing compard to the johnson

My plans are to get it on the water and see how the 3/4" drain pipe will do with the fill pump. If it doesn't drain like I want it to then I put a bigger overflow out the side of the boat and plug the original drain hole. I hope it works though so there will be less holes in the boat!

Boat is heavy. Around 350 or so.

I already purchased an ETEC 25 HP. Hoping it comes in this week as it has been 2 weeks already.

Slow motion still going on here in Oklahoma. 6 weeks into the waiting game on my motor that was only suppose to take two weeks. I'm being promised it this week. We'll see. In the meantime I've been chiseling away at it. I picked up a couple of toys.

Onboard charger & mounted:
Boat 44.jpg
Boat 29.jpg

Alumacraft trolling motor mount converted to fit my tin:
Boat 30.jpg
Boat 31.jpg
Boat 32.jpg
Boat 33.jpg

Trolling motor:
Boat 36.jpg
Boat 38.jpg
Boat 34.jpg

Seats mounted:
Boat 19.jpg
Boat 42.jpg

The trolling motor and onboard charger weigh the same as the trolling battery so they will be on the port side on top and under the casting deck while the trolling battery will be on the starboard side under the casting deck. This should even out the weight up front just right. :)

is that the motor guide xi5 wireless trolling motor? looking good so far. trolling motor details please? thanks

I am anxious to see how you finish your livewell. I am going through my build now. And one of my mods will be a baitwell

It is the Xi5. It is the non GPS model. I was undecided on if I really needed the GPS. In the event I do I will purchase the add on. I like what I've seen about it so far. Very smooth release on it. Very compact.

Won't get the livewell up and running until I get the boat on the water and see how the factory drain tube works. If it doesn't drain like I want I will see how the boat sits on the water to determine where to drill the drain out the side.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=348792#p348792 said:
DrNip » 15 Apr 2014, 09:59[/url]"]It is the Xi5. It is the non GPS model. I was undecided on if I really needed the GPS. In the event I do I will purchase the add on. I like what I've seen about it so far. Very smooth release on it. Very compact.

this is the model i been looking at also. i dont need gps anytime soon either. did you get the 12v model? order it from bass pro? if i get it i want the small remote control for it. love how its wireless but not sure about the price difference makes it worth it?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=348816#p348816 said:
DrNip » 15 Apr 2014, 13:56[/url]"]12v.

great boat. anxious to see it complete. keep up the good work and photos =D>

Dr Nip,
Cant wait to see what you come up with. You followed my build all winter and I am anxious to see yours... we both had the same ideas, I went one way you went the other... but I think they both will turn out great..... I don't know if you ever spent much time in a 1248 jon (I have not) but after last Saturday, I was so amazed on how stable it was... I could hardly believe it. My Dad after riding the boat last weekend is already thinking about a 1448 mod v.... I think he is leaning toward WeldCraft due to the higher sides capabilities.....

Anyway, I will keeping an eye on your project... looks great so far

Actually I've never been in a tin boat. Only glass.

Just got word from the dealership on my motor. The wrong motor was delivered!!! WFT?!? They delivered a remote motor instead of tiller. Now they're talking Tuesday of next week.

Latest posts