10' Jon Boat Bassin'

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the casting deck cut today. It was a bad word, but it fits! Also, I need tips on how to go about carpeting the deck. I have the adhesive, carpet, and probably and stapler. I just want to know if there is a certain method that makes it go smoother.
IMG_4570.jpg
Also today, I finished the outriggers! They are fully adjustable and solid!
IMG_4574.jpg
Still waiting to hear back from my motor guy.
I have an old hand controlled trolling motor that will work up front for now.
I think I'm just gonna go with Olive Drab for the paint job and maybe try this steel flex stuff on the bottom.

Thanks for all your feedback!

Just remember if the deck just fits, you will need to trim just a bit to make it fit with the carpet between the deck and hull.
Steelflex will greatly increase the water tightness of the boat. It will add some weight, buy not too much. Depending on which one you get will depend on how you install, but either one can be applied upside down. If your getting the newer stuff with Teflon, it must be applied with the boat upside down. Trust me! ;)

Wow! I have thought of doing the same thing with the outriggers with my 12 ft alumaweld. Its pretty shallow sided and some outties would probably do a lot of good. I have about a 6 ft length of 8" PVC that is collecting dust. Im wondering if i could make a one sided outrigger that would do much good. We fish 3 guys in the boat at once so having riggers on both sides probably wont work. What do you think?

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=33516

I'm going to use the blue foam that they have under docks, you can't use it in Mo so there is a lot of it around. It comes 12 inches by 48 inches so I;m going to cut it down to 12 x 24 and go straight down from the top rail to the water adding about 3-4 foot more width???

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=344525#p344525 said:
arob8924 » 10 Mar 2014, 23:18[/url]"]Wow! I have thought of doing the same thing with the outriggers with my 12 ft alumaweld. Its pretty shallow sided and some outties would probably do a lot of good. I have about a 6 ft length of 8" PVC that is collecting dust. Im wondering if i could make a one sided outrigger that would do much good. We fish 3 guys in the boat at once so having riggers on both sides probably wont work. What do you think?

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=33516

I haven't had any experience with an outrigger on only one side so I won't blow smoke up your crack. :LOL2: Personally, If I had that 6' piece of PVC I would cut it in half and have two 3' outriggers on either side towards the center of the boat. But also you said 3 people in the boat. Maybe you could make four 1.5' outriggers and put them out of the anglers way. Just spitballing!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=344542#p344542 said:
rocket rich » 11 Mar 2014, 07:00[/url]"]I'm going to use the blue foam that they have under docks, you can't use it in Mo so there is a lot of it around. It comes 12 inches by 48 inches so I;m going to cut it down to 12 x 24 and go straight down from the top rail to the water adding about 3-4 foot more width???

Sounds like a plan! I would love to see some pictures once you finish her up.

Heck i might as well make a spidey boat with 8 legs with tennis balls attached to each one! would sit right on top of the water like those water bugs!! :LOL2: But seriously, I think i may do the two shorties, but towards the transom, which is the skinniest portion of my boat. Ill let you know if i do, but I have a few other projects that are first in line on the boat!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=344572#p344572 said:
arob8924 » 11 Mar 2014, 11:08[/url]"]Heck i might as well make a spidey boat with 8 legs with tennis balls attached to each one! would sit right on top of the water like those water bugs!! :LOL2: But seriously, I think i may do the two shorties, but towards the transom, which is the skinniest portion of my boat. Ill let you know if i do, but I have a few other projects that are first in line on the boat!

Sounds good, man! I want to see some pictures when you get around to it.

No physical updates this week yet! However, I was able to acquire a title and tag for my boat. After reading around about boats bought with no title I was a little nervous. I was surprised at how easy it really was. I had my local tag agency run the serial number and it came back clean. Then, I wrote a short story about how the boat had been on my property for "many years" and used for farm ponds and that I was ready to take it out on lakes. The tag agency notarized it and sent it in and boom $8.75 later I had a title and numbers.

I've been on the look out for a foot pedal trolling motor, but I have a few questions. Is there such a thing as getting one with too much thrust? Do most people get the shortest shaft possible since Jon's are usually closer to the water?

Are you not worried about the C clamps or is that just temporary until you know it will work and then you'll construct more solid? Seems like they will constantly loosen and/or move.

That definitely could be a factor, they seem to be pretty solid but it will be a trial and error. I'm pretty good at Afro-engineering things to stay where they are if need be! Haha
Do you have a suggestion for a better mount?

I would 1st get it out on the water to see if it works or what you want. Once you decide then I would look into welding 4 brackets onto the boat that you can bolt each leg to.

Ha didn't even notice you were from Oklahoma. I got a guy that has a custom bike shop/aluminum boat repair shop to weld mine. Let me know if and when and I'll give you his number. He's just off I-40 and Choctaw.

Glad to see you got the title worked out, I was worried about mine initially, but like you said it was really easy! Where do you plan on using it for its maiden run?

I added outrigger's to my 10' footer, simple pvc and blue dock foam, cut foam into two foot pieces and fasten it to a pvc tee with alum straps and very close to the boat sides. very stable now wish I could show pictures but don't know how

The deck is coming along just fine. I got the hatch cut out and trimmed about 3/8 inch off to allow for the carpet. I still need to put in the 2x4's on the bottom and attach the hinges. I'm getting antsy to get her in the water.
This is the first thing I've ever carpeted so it was interesting learning the process.
IMG_4654.jpg
IMG_4655.jpg
IMG_4656.jpg
I know the bottoms not too pretty... haha
IMG_4657.jpg

Mnolting
Her maiden voyage will hopefully be on Lake Konawa. It hasn't gotten real warm in OK yet. Konawa is a smaller local power plant lake so the discharge side already getting good! They even have a few hybrids in there :D

rocket rich
I would love to see some pictures! There is a how to guide for pictures in the "Watering Hole" forum for you technologically challenged old folk :wink:

I was able to get the deck supported and put the rim around the hatch today. This thing is solid.
I'm getting really close to the finish line and I'm ready to get this thing in the water! :D
Sorry about the dark black and white photo, I had to edit it to make it small enough pixel-wise for this website.
IMG_4668.jpg
IMG_4669.JPG
IMG_4667.JPG

Latest posts