10' Jon Boat Bassin'

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great job so far! Im so glad i ran into this post. Im working on my build and i was planning on doing outriggers too! Im going to try to make mine be able to swing up for fitting into tight spaces. Yours looks great though! Keep it up =D>

Not yet Blake, I will soon! I just picked up my trailer last night and am gonna start with a fresh paint job,, I will let you know when i start mine. How did you tag my name in the comment and is there a notification center on this forum.. (im new lol, thanks in advance)

This is awesome! I will be posting the original pics on my project this weekend, also a 10ft. I have stabilizers i purchased for my canoe that fit on the front of the boat, they will need some modifications but nothing major. They also clamp on. I look forward to watch your project move forward as well as share my own.

Did you build a support frame for your deck? If so can you post photos of it please.

XtremeAngler17
There is no way to tag a name that I'm aware of. I just do it to keep confusion to a minimum. Haha. That's a good idea though! Maybe an admin will see this and make something happen [-o< Let me know when you start your forum!

StevePruven
Thank you, Steve! I'm excited to see your build! Don't let the negative feedback about 10 footers get you down, it'll be as good as you make it.
Because the deck rests on the bow seat and the middle seat, I didn't build a frame per se. However, there is a support near the center of the deck around the middle of the hatch. The deck just sits in the gap between seats. The best part is that it's removable incase I wanna put the seats in and go catfishing. :D

IMG_4681.jpg
Most of the support comes from the seats
IMG_4683.jpg
I used treated 2x4's

Dude, it's looking fantastic so far! I love seeing the confidence in the "Smaller" jon boat builds. i'm got a 1432 that i'm working on now (link in signature) but really havn't made any progress other than adding the extras... keep the pictures coming man, can't wait to see the finished product!

StevePruven
Thank you, Steve! I'm excited to see your build! Don't let the negative feedback about 10 footers get you down, it'll be as good as you make it.
Because the deck rests on the bow seat and the middle seat, I didn't build a frame per se. However, there is a support near the center of the deck around the middle of the hatch. The deck just sits in the gap between seats. The best part is that it's removable incase I wanna put the seats in and go catfishing. :D

Most of the support comes from the seats

I used treated 2x4's[/quote]

Blake this is very helpful stuff. i also have plans to leave the benches and current seats(for now) and also have plans do the occasional cat and stripper so the deck will be removed for this application also. How concerned are you with weight capacity? you just gonna be solo on this? Im thrilled with a 10 footer just works for my situation in life ATM, however i need tp take a companion on mos outings. worse case i build it learn a few things sell it and build another . the stabilizers im transferring from my canoe allowed 2 people to stand and fish no problem so i think we will be good stability wise just dont wanna sink the thing. im think im gonna need 400lb people and gear which is 100 over. am i doomed?

here are photos ill start a thread later today.
b]

SCARNG2011
Thanks for the positive feedback, man! I'll be following your build.

XtremeAngler17
Your boat looks great! My advice would to be open to advice/criticism. Act like you don't know much even if you know a little. Keep your build towards the top of the list with new improvements and ideas. And just keep it interesting! I'll be watching :shock:

StevePruven
Dude, I've been trying to get a stripper in my boat for years! I think her plus her pole would put me way over the weight limit though. lol
But really, I think you will be fine. Boats vary on how they handle weight. My Alumacraft has foam under the seats (like most do) and with just me in it the water line is like 4 inches up the side. With me and my buddy and a trolling motor/battery you can tell it could handle more weight. However, with me(180lbs), my buddy(180lbs), and my other buddy(250lbs) it's a little scary. If anything, I would say having a buddy in the back will be better. Jon's tend to want to do a nose dive with just one guy standing near the bow. If you do want to go solo I would suggest an ice chest or live well towards the rear. I don't think you are doomed at all, but don't hold me liable if you are :wink:

BlakeRauch said:
SCARNG2011
T

StevePruven
Dude, I've been trying to get a stripper in my boat for years! I think her plus her pole would put me way over the weight limit though. lol
:LOL2: :LOL2:

BlakeRauch said:
SCARNG2011
But really, I think you will be fine. Boats vary on how they handle weight. My Alumacraft has foam under the seats (like most do) and with just me in it the water line is like 4 inches up the side. With me and my buddy and a trolling motor/battery you can tell it could handle more weight. However, with me(180lbs), my buddy(180lbs), and my other buddy(250lbs) it's a little scary. If anything, I would say having a buddy in the back will be better. Jon's tend to want to do a nose dive with just one guy standing near the bow. If you do want to go solo I would suggest an ice chest or live well towards the rear. I don't think you are doomed at all, but don't hold me liable if you are :wink:

What capacity is the Alumacraft rated for? You named your boat yet? Speaking of foam under seats i have seen people cut hatches in the seats remove some of the foam so they can store things in the seat. Whats your opinion of that? you think removing a battery sized chunk of the foam will interfere with the buoyancy at all? Earlier I read that the foam only helps when wet? Id like to mount the battery under the seat that is mid ship since i will be bow mounting the trolling motor. I promise ill make my own post today so i stop hijacking yours with questions. How long till your ready to get in the water?

Mine is 365 lbs. I named her the S.S. Bassquatch! I think you will be fine cutting some foam out. I believe it's mostly there incase you try to sink it. That sounds like a good idea! I'm still looking for a trolling motor and waiting for my motor to get out of the shop. I'm getting anxious!

I found an 87-89 9.9 2 stroke Tohatsu for $550.
He says it's pull start and electric. He says forward and reverse work great. However, it's missing it's cowling. Can you all tell me if this is a good deal? Will not having a cowling be a factor?

If I do buy it, is there a way to cover it without paying out the butt for an exact replacement cowl?

I promise I won't go full throttle :---) haha

Thanks guys

StevePruven

No! I'm about to go crazy. My mechanic has had my motor since Janurary 31st and will not answer my texts. He will probably get a call tomorrow. :|
I even started looking around for a new motor.

Got the S.S. Bassquatch a 2003 5hp Merc. Maiden voyage scheduled for Friday!! Prepare for pictures. I will take a lot. Shout out to everyone who helped me so far!

Sorry the pictures are late. Our internet decided to stop working this week. Maiden voyage was a success! The only problem I had were the outriggers sitting too low in the water and creating a lot of drag. I have since fixed this problem. In my excitement about fishing I forgot to take pictures of the boat itself, so I will be doing so on our second voyage this Thursday.

My Quartermaster, Walter
IMG_5011.jpg
First fish of the day
IMG_5018.jpg
My 2 lb Bass
IMG_5022.jpg
And Walt with the biggest of the day at 3.1 lbs
IMG_5026.jpg

Latest posts