He Reigns Mon Ark project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had no time to work on it. I plan on installing new fuel pump and getting the motor dialed in this weekend. Of course that means hitting the water, and why waist a trip in the boat, so fishing will be involved. Once I know the motor is good to go I will install the rear deck. It has been really nice working on the motor while it is very accessible. That's about it for now, many plans but no accomplishment.

Finally got some time to work on it. New fuel pump is in. We took it out for some high speed runs, 15 seconds wide open and hit the kill switch. took some plug readings and finally with some adjustments got decent color. I really need bigger jets as they are about 3 turns out past factory settings. It is running fairly decent, my boat is just heavy, with 440 lbs of people a bunch of fishing gear, 50 lbs of tools and 3/4 tank of gas it runs at 33 mph upstream and 37 mph downstream. Which is just fine for the water we run in, most of the time I will go slower. In the vid, I cut off on a small, skinny side water inlet. You can hear I am not full speed but on a plane. I tried to show a full speed test at the end but had weeds in the intake. Sorry for the noise, the camera is basically on top of the motor and I do not have a cover on it yet....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFyhBanMHrQ

This video shows a flat out run, you can see some small chop in water. That size did not affect the boat, later we hit bigger chop and got a little cavitation. You can also hear the cavitation in the corners. The spoon needs some work. Now I know she runs alright I plan to build front and rear decks and fiberglass the rear part of bottom. She still takes on 2 to 3 gallons a hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrKCsxlJQAc

And of course we did some fishing. I caught a 17 inch, 2 1/2 lbs and my oldest son got a 15 1/4 inch, 1 3/4 lbs small mouths, not to be outdone my youngest pulled in a 4 lbs channel cat. Overall it was a great day.

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1402967183444.jpg[/attachment]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1402967183444.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1402967183444.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 1,728
=D> =D> Way to go!! Looks great! Bet that was fun, what was your impression of the jetjon ride compared to a standard outboard? Looks like you ran through some shallow water where an outboard would have issues. How was the stick steering...any difficulties with hard turning or feedback?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=356046#p356046 said:
bnt5 » 16 Jun 2014, 19:58[/url]"]=D> =D> Way to go!! Looks great! Bet that was fun, what was your impression of the jetjon ride compared to a standard outboard? Looks like you ran through some shallow water where an outboard would have issues. How was the stick steering...any difficulties with hard turning or feedback?

The ride is the same as any other flat bottom, on the rough side. The small inlet we ran through was shallow in spots, no way a prop would have made it without damage. The stick for the steering is half of the jet ski handle bars. It has no problem with leverage, if anything I may trim a few inches off of it. What was not show in the video was a few extreme sliding turns with a 180 in about 2 boat lengths, kids asked me not to do that again after water washed up over the front of boat. :shock: Feedback is fine, you move the stick and it turns, no slop or play, its almost instant. Only issue is cavitation in turns and chop. As it stands I am extremely pleased on how its turned out so far. I really need decks for fishing, they are next priority.

Looks like it's turned out well. I love powerslides, especially when there's an audience. :) Water over the bow is cool, especially when you time it right and it's a big splash.

It'll slow down a little bit with the decking, just don't go 2x4's and 3/4" plywood and you should be OK. Aluminum is well worth the money on a jet hull. Plus once the cover is on the motor won't be so deafening.

Well, I will get half of the decking right, it will be 2x4's with aluminum street signs on it for now, I would love to have the frame aluminum as well, but the funds are not there. This thing is a flying turd anyhow, the hull weighs a lot compared to other boats the same size. I did put a micrometer on it when I cut the hole for jet pump. It measured .073.

I made some annotations in the video to show underwater obstacles. The water was pretty skinny in spots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFyhBanMHrQ

After a light examination of my trailer I determined the poor thing is done for. Many cracks in important places and overall in bad shape. If you look back to my first video you will see the friends boat I was getting the Johnson 55 horse from. I called him the other day to see what he wanted to do with that piece of junk sitting in my driveway. He said haul it to his house and would bring it to dump, the only thing he wanted was the rollers off the trailer. I asked if I could have the trailer and he said yes. So it has a nice 4"x4" frame and with a little welding for fenders and making some skids for the boat to sit on it will be a awesome trailer for the jet jon. It also has full size tires. So fenders, skids, lights and paint. I'm taking the boat to the dump tomorrow. I am humbled, answers will come to questions in time with patience. <o<

I've taken a boat to the dump before, just make sure you have the ability to hold the boat to their loader as you pull out from under it (old junk rope). Rollers should make it pretty easy.

Make sure you grab all the stainless hardware out of the boat before taking it. That stuff is expensive and you'll use it on your hull.

Here she is in all her splendour!!! It is actually a solid trailer, the rust appears to be surface only, some work with the wire brush on the grinder will fix it. Went to dump and the operator grabbed the boat with the backhoe and pulled it off the trailer, then proceeded to smash it into pieces, kinda fun to watch.
[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1403800218290.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1403800248080.jpg[/attachment]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1403800218290.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1403800218290.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 2,183
  • uploadfromtaptalk1403800248080.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1403800248080.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 2,183
Nice free trailer! I have to do the same to my trailer, if you have a harbor freight nearby, they have a great LED trailer light kit that works perfectly on boat trailers and for cheap with a 20% coupon :wink:

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=357280#p357280 said:
bnt5 » 26 Jun 2014, 19:57[/url]"]Nice free trailer! I have to do the same to my trailer, if you have a harbor freight nearby, they have a great LED trailer light kit that works perfectly on boat trailers and for cheap with a 20% coupon :wink:

We have nothing nearby but rivers, lakes and mountains. If I want anything more than a basic nut and bolt I have to order it online or drive at least an hour each way.

I love these jet Jon builds, I want to cut a hole in my hull so bad :evil: some one needs to start producing one, I wonder why builders have not yet?
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=356033#p356033 said:
He Reigns » 16 Jun 2014, 18:59[/url]"]This video shows a flat out run, you can see some small chop in water. That size did not affect the boat, later we hit bigger chop and got a little cavitation. You can also hear the cavitation in the corners. The spoon needs some work. Now I know she runs alright I plan to build front and rear decks and fiberglass the rear part of bottom. She still takes on 2 to 3 gallons a hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrKCsxlJQAc

Still around, I did not have my boat since last July. Got her back last month. She is still rough around the edges but runs alright and it catches fish. This is the first part of a run up a local river to a diversion dam, Definitely skinny water!!! She got a couple more dents in the bottom. Few boats have made the whole run and my graduating son wanted to try. I will post the second part later.

https://youtu.be/LSbNNdlXp98

Welcome Back! Glad to hear the jetjon is still around. Mine is still running strong as well and is fun as heck, I am planning on another build this winter much to my wife's dismay. I hear you about dents, mine has two good ones in the bottom, not from running the boat surprisingly but from floating down the rapids while fishing. Keep us posted on progress.

Latest posts