Dinovite experiment

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Well, here goes. Today is day 1 of an experiment with a dog supplement called Dinovite. My poor boxer dog Zorba is a mess. No matter what foods, supplements, shampoos, and drugs we have used, nothing seems to work. He scratches his ears, eats at his paws, keeps us up all night with licking and scratching. It seems to come in spurts but on a consistent basis. He will scratch till he is red raw, and his chest and chin are always a shade of pink. Researching the net I came across a product called Dinovite and everything I read it seemed I was reading about Zorba. I took the plunge and ordered a 90 day kit. I pray this is the answer and will keep you updated. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Wish Zorba and me good luck.

Link: https://www.dinovite.com
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413499692.063088.jpg

ggoldy said:
What does the vet say about the problem? Allergy's? (alergy's? allergies? I give up.)

Vet says to give him Benadryl twice per day or Claritin once per day. He says it seasonal. Zorba stays in our fenced in backyard (cement) and our lawn which we use no chemicals or fertilizers.

Zorba "flares up once per month and sometimes it lasts a month. Im tired and scared of giving him meds all the time.

Sounds like the vet thinks it's allergy. Second opinion, maybe. How about a vet's educational research facility nearby? Remove the allergen instead of treating the animal? Out of ideas.

We had this same problem with my Lab. He could swim in the nastiest water to get duck but if he ate dog food with grain or Chicken he would break out and scratch till he bleed. After trying ton of "Grain Free" foods, my wife was talking to a lady she works with and she suggested food with fish protein and potatoes. We found 4Health Salmon and Potato at Tractor Supply worked for him.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/4healthtrade%3B-salmon--potato-formula-for-adult-dogs-35-lb-bag

I can't tell you how many different brands of dog food we went through. Bags that cost $20 to bags that cost $80.

For 6 months I fed him hamburg, rice, fresh veggies…..he ate better than me. :LOL2:

he Jim, I used to work at a vet and am currently working with animals. have you tried removing his collar? it looks very irritated around it. also, when buying food read the label! if it has corn or any "by product" stay away. we have used kangroo based dog food with great results. check out (yes expensive) Eukanuba or Pro plan dog foods. or we would have clients cook chicken and rice for their dogs. this would usually clean up their problems. I have a dog that would get seasonal allergies so she gets claritan too which works for her. the question that needs to be answered is does your dog have "environmental allergies or food allergies/both?" and yes I have seen dogs that are allergic to grass....... have you changed the blanket or bed, laundry detergent etc. is there something in the house that is new. also have you tried an oatmeal based shampoo. I will look when I get home for what helped our jack russel, you wash them with it, let it sit (extremely hard almost need sedation)for 15 minutes then rinse.

Collar is usually off, only when we walk him. We are using the same laundry detergent we have used for years. Hardwood floors, no rugs.

I use oatmeal based shampoos and ones with hydrocortisone too. His bedding is new, but we have used towels, fleece blankets, Dog beds, even let him sleep on the bed :lol:

lovedr79 said:
interesting. i have a feeling with him chewing his paws he just might be allergic to something in the yard.

Sporadic…He will chew on his paws, then he will chew up way higher and not touch the paws. Then he will scratch his arm pits until they are red raw. I can't even scratch his back without him going into this scratching trance….The kind where when you find the a spot and their leg just kicks up and starts scratching.

I hear the commercials for D-I-N-O-V-I-T-E very regularly on the radio.
It will be interesting to see what result(s) arise from your experiment. Hopefully it is as good as claimed.

f2a51b0271c3c651cc0daa70fe036ec2.jpg

Update #1
Things were looking better, it even seems he has more energy. I got home last night and there was a setback. The picture does not show it well, but Zorba scratched his upper chest area until it was raw and he is scratching the side of his head. We gave him 2 Benadryl.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414060693.671111.jpg

Sounds like stress - maybe he is picking up a vibe

He just needs to go fishing

BTW Ocean water would not hurt - helps out most skin problems

BBTW - there are great white sightings in the canal - if you let him swim attach a hook!

Week 2
Still scratching, not as bad as before. Chest is whiter. I did clean his ears which were dirty, but for sure he does not smell as bad as he did before. He is the kind of dog you give a bath to, and the next day he smells like a wet dog. Now he does not smell. I am wondering if it's the Dinovite helping with this.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414670031.734449.jpg

Great thread. I'm looking forward to more updates. Hope you figure it out.

How old is your pooch? My 2 year old boxer/pit used to get real bad hives when she was younger. We never really figured out what caused it because we got rid of all the suspects at once. I will say that one good change was switching her food to Fromm.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414737810427.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414737810427.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 1,099
Zorba is 8 years old, Bella is about 3 (rescue) so not 100% sure.

We switched his food to what Bella eats now which is Wegmans simply nature brand of dog food.
WegmansPetFood.jpg

Jim said:
Update #1
Things were looking better, it even seems he has more energy. I got home last night and there was a setback. The picture does not show it well, but Zorba scratched his upper chest area until it was raw and he is scratching the side of his head. We gave him 2 Benadryl.

Hey Jim, sorry to hear your buddy is suffering. I'm sure you've seen this article already but, on the off chance that you haven't, take a look. It's a pretty comprehensive piece about the causes of dogs biting, scratching and licking themselves raw. Hope it provides some insight or direction.
https://www.petmd.com/dog/general-health/evr_dg_itch_and_scratch_bite_and_lick

You also might look into immune disorders and hormonal imbalance as causes.

Latest posts