1978 Lund S-14' Aluminum V Restore

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WPS

Reaction score
Found this Lund on Craigslist a week ago... I really like Lund boats and always wanted one, but they're rare in this area... The guy that I bought it off of has had it for 8 years and never used it... His FIL bought the boat & the aluminum trailer new in 1978 up North... He gave the boat to his SIL after he got sick, then later died... The boat hasn't been on the water in 12 years!

This is what it looked like when I got it home.

fdykx0.jpg

htbijd.jpg

Came with an aluminum trailer!

m76mpy.jpg

Got 2 new 13" rims.

mvt43n.jpg

There was 12 holes down each side of the boat... Some was 3/8"... The PO must have had rod holders down the sides.. I welded all of them up!

vr3ih1.jpg

34edbgx.jpg

2cm1is.jpg

Cleaned the bottom... Not sure if I will paint it yet... Would like to keep the bare aluminum.
Before:
359iwm1.jpg

After:
1zfk8c9.jpg

Cleaned the transom.
ngefxf.jpg

I took the homemade guides off.. They had rusty metal mounted to aluminum.. I'm going to make a new set out of aluminum pipe and put white PVC pipe over them... I'll have to extend the tongue on the trailer and buy a new coupler for a 2" ball, it has a rusty one on it for a 1-7/8" ball... I also ordered a new winch, jack, new bunk carpet, lights, wiring and other small stuff.

Boat just needs new wood and I may put in a front deck.. Needs painted, new seats, may build a side steering column and a few other small stuff... Could really just use it ''as is''. but I would like to fix it up some... Contacted Lund to get the info for the boat and they're sending me 2 new decals at no cost! :mrgreen:

Going to try and get the red repainted... But, its suppose to turn cold this weekend and snow!

Awesome find!!! Lund's are very well built boats & have a good rep to back it up. You sure cant beat two free new decals either. I have to say that I'm a bit jealous of the aluminum trailer; mine currently is a rusty homemade trailer built from several other cannibalized boat trailers. Great find, can't wait to see more!!!

Great looking hull, appears to be in great shape. I wouldn't paint the bottom if I were you. I only painted mine because I needed to cover up the repairs I made.

ccm said:
Awesome find!!! Lund's are very well built boats & have a good rep to back it up. You sure cant beat two free new decals either. I have to say that I'm a bit jealous of the aluminum trailer; mine currently is a rusty homemade trailer built from several other cannibalized boat trailers. Great find, can't wait to see more!!!
Thanks!

I sent Lund an Email asking for info on the boat, because the Coast Guard tag was worn and I couldn't read all of it.. I just asked them where I could find the decals for this year, and she told me she would send me two in the mail. :)

I really like the aluminum trailer!. . The axle slides too! I'll have to make sure to keep a good lock on it at the lake, because it might not be there when I get back!

I'm sure your trailer is just fine!. . Take a ''flap-disc'' and remove the rust, then apply primer/paint! .. I've built trailers and used a couple to make one!

rscottp said:
Great looking hull, appears to be in great shape. I wouldn't paint the bottom if I were you. I only painted mine because I needed to cover up the repairs I made.
Thanks!.... I bumped your thread to the top, because it has to be the best one I've ever seen!

It is in great shape for a 78 model!.. As soon as I looked at the hull, I was ready to take it home!... I don't believe I'll paint the bottom, but I would like to seal the bottom with something clear so I don't have to clean it often!

Thanks!... And thanks for the info you sent me!

boattrailor001_zps075e42f9.jpg

Here's my old trailer. It needs a lot more TLC than what I'm willing to put into it. It's really heavy too, somewhere around 500 lbs. Along with the boat, motor, batteries & gear it puts a considerable amount of stress on the little tires. I just think it would be better to put my $$$ towards a better trailer with larger tires. It was fine for the short distance to the local ramp ( 1 mile down a gravel road ) but with local lake levels 10+ft low I would have to travel quite a ways down the highway & I just don't trust it for that. I've been looking at trailers in my local area & I can pick up something decent for around $150. Thanks for the advice but I think I'll just use my current trailer for just hauling junk around the farm when I pick up something better.

Lunds are great boats and very rare around here too... rare as hens teeth.

How does the transom wood look? I couldn't tell from the pics.

ccm said:
Here's my old trailer. It needs a lot more TLC than what I'm willing to put into it. It's really heavy too, somewhere around 500 lbs. Along with the boat, motor, batteries & gear it puts a considerable amount of stress on the little tires. I just think it would be better to put my $$$ towards a better trailer with larger tires. It was fine for the short distance to the local ramp ( 1 mile down a gravel road ) but with local lake levels 10+ft low I would have to travel quite a ways down the highway & I just don't trust it for that. I've been looking at trailers in my local area & I can pick up something decent for around $150. Thanks for the advice but I think I'll just use my current trailer for just hauling junk around the farm when I pick up something better.
What size rims/tires does it have ?..... You can change the hubs & move up to larger rims/tires.. Just have to find the right size hubs.

Also, what kind of boat do you have ?... A little work to it and the trailer you have would look great. .. Shop on Amazon and you can find anything that you need for your trailer!.. New winch ''with 20' strap'' for $16.99... Trailer jack made by Reese for $23.99.

A member on here bought this trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/Ironton-Personal-Watercraft-Trailer-Capacity/dp/B00E5DW9XO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1414884593&sr=8-5&keywords=boat+trailer

He also extended the tongue... That's what I have to do to my trailer.

jigngrub said:
Lunds are great boats and very rare around here too... rare as hens teeth.

How does the transom wood look? I couldn't tell from the pics.
Hey bud where have you been? :mrgreen:

The wood is in great shape!.. Don't have to work on that, and I'm glad!

Got my paint/primer and a lot of other stuff today... Turned cold here this weekend.. Going to try and paint the red next week and do some mods to the trailer.

The tires are just a little small ( 4.80 / 4.00 - 8 with 4 lug hubs ), I thought about putting larger hubs, rims, & tires but then I would have to cut & lower the bunk supports. And it really needs to have the center beam cut & welded into the frame. All relatively simple things to do but finding the time to do it is another thing. My boat is a 1961 Sea King PDUT-14 built by Arkansas Traveler for Montgomery Ward. I just finished painting it blue & white a couple of weeks ago but I haven't updated my thread recently. https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?t=33352

WPS said:
ccm said:
Thanks!

I sent Lund an Email asking for info on the boat, because the Coast Guard tag was worn and I couldn't read all of it.. I just asked them where I could find the decals for this year, and she told me she would send me two in the mail. :)

I really like the aluminum trailer!. . The axle slides too! I'll have to make sure to keep a good lock on it at the lake, because it might not be there when I get back!

I'm sure your trailer is just fine!. . Take a ''flap-disc'' and remove the rust, then apply primer/paint! .. I've built trailers and used a couple to make one!

lund s-14 35 max hp, 895lbs max, 1015lbs with the 20 inch transom. do you need to know anything else? 248 lbs dry hull weight. I have more info if you like?

shawnfish said:
lund s-14 35 max hp, 895lbs max, 1015lbs with the 20 inch transom. do you need to know anything else? 248 lbs dry hull weight. I have more info if you like?
Thanks!... Lund sent me all the info!

I need to try and find a new tag to put back on when I get done!

rscottp said:
Lund catalog archive, you can find specs on any model. Pretty cool.
https://lundboats.com/boats/catalog-archive
Hey thanks for posting that. !

Yeah, that is pretty cool!... I bookmarked it.

It finally warmed up today and I put a coat of ''self etching primer'' on... Suppose to be 74 deg' here tomorrow and I'm going to paint the side red... Would rather be fishing,!.. But, later this week back to cool temps.

I'll post a pic tomorrow night.

That's just about the red shade I'll be putting on mine. Same as my truck. Looking good.
Is that rattle can sprayed or rolled on?

Y_J said:
That's just about the red shade I'll be putting on mine. Same as my truck. Looking good.
Hi Y_J,

I used rattle cans.

I have a lot of trailer parts in, and right now everything is on hold... I need to extend the tongue, but can't find any 2-1/2" aluminum tubing in my area... Guess I'll have to order it.

Plus deer season is in right now! :mrgreen:

Thanks!..@rscottp

WPS said:
Y_J said:
Hi Y_J,

I used rattle cans.

I have a lot of trailer parts in, and right now everything is on hold... I need to extend the tongue, but can't find any 2-1/2" aluminum tubing in my area... Guess I'll have to order it.

Plus deer season is in right now! :mrgreen:

Thanks!..@rscottp
Thanks for the reply. It looks pretty darn good for rattle cans. Hell, I just might try that route on mine. If you don't mind me asking, how many cans did it take on yours and how many coats did you put on?

I'm just about to add 4' on the tongue of my trailer as well. Thanks again for getting back to me.

Latest posts