Boat Repair

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunters96

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and to start things off I recently bought 2 flat bottom aluminum boats a 12 ft and a 10 ft for a pretty reasonable price. The 12 ft has a dent in it, and it was from a wind storm as the previous owner tells me, I'm just wondering if i can fix this dent and if so how, or if its even worth trying to fix it. Thanks in advance!
IMG_0625_zps0f459ef0.jpg
[/url]/img]

IMG_0626_zpsc877c2b8.jpg
[/url]/img]

I would remove the gunnel, straighten the hull, straighten the gunnel then try to get the gunnel back on.

It depends to what degree you want fix it
I would get 3-4 buddies to sit sideways put your feet against the gunnels and push it back out.
It won't be perfect by any means but again it depends to what degree you want to fix it

Removing the gunnels, straighten out the sides and fixing the gunnels would be the best way to fix it. But a lot work.

I'd check for leaks and loose rivets afterwards....pushing, pulling and flexing can make seams leak or rivets get loose.

If possible i would like for it to look... well normal again. But again i dont know if that would be possible. If i were to remove the gunnels and try to straighten it out how would i go about doing so? this is my first boat and i dont really know a whole lot about them. My big quesiton is, i know its all riveted in, so how would i remove the rivets, then take the gunnels out and then put it all back in the boat?

How would I put it back together again when I get it straightened out to my likings?

My boat had a single dent in the gunwale right at the oarlock, I leaned the boat on a tree with the dented area flat on the ground and started stomping on the gunwale. The ground stopped me from going too far and I have to look closely to tell that it's still a hair off. One day I'll get rid of that hair too.

You would have to lean it up on a wall, put stuff under the stern until the middle bench and the front corner are on the ground, stomp the 2 most bent places, bang out the kink in the front seat as you go, and just do it slowly and look at the results of each stomp before you do it again. Might need something under the bench and the bow or dig out under the dents in the end to get the curve back in the side. Just take your time, aluminum does bend easy.

That will get it close enough so that what little imperfection is left can be considered "battle scars" or "character". :lol:

Here is the dented side of my boat so you can see how it works

Picture_014.jpg

Latest posts