Derek's Tracker TX-17 rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What did you do with your bilge? I am unable to find anything that will fit in the stock casing.

Replaced it completely. Mine now has a 1000 gph The Rule pump. I have it wired on an automatic float switch and also an override switch on the dash.

Do you mean the outlet on the back? If so mine was 2 piece plastic so I just replaced it with one that fit my bilge hose

I meant did you completely remove the stock bilge and put the new one on that old base or did you put it on the side and make your own base for it?

IMG_2966.jpg

Mine had no mount when I got it.
New one came with a new mount that I epoxied to the bottom

Derek, bud do you have any close up pictures of how you carpeted your deck lids? I'm wondering what to do with the piano hinges. The carpet I'm tearing out is completely deteriorated and I can't make out how they had it in there. Did you wrap the hinge and lid with one piece so that it bunches up when you open it or is there a better way? Thanks

I took all my lids off and carpeted them separately. Drill out the boat side rivets on the hinge, so the hinge is still attached to the lid .
Cover the lid with a little flap covering the hinge. When you rivet it back on that flap is now held down with the rivet, between the hinge and deck.

Important tip, make sure the grain of your carpet is all going the same way. On the deck and lids. Otherwise the color/grain will look off, see below.

Lids backwards
IMG_3835.jpg

Correct with the grain
IMG_3838.jpg

That's kind of how I thought it was on there. My carpet had been worn so much on top of the hinges that it was separated into two pieces, so I really couldn't tell. What kind of carpet did you use? I just got mine in from basscat and it's the 24oz, I believe I'm going to fight it being that thick. But it'll sure be nice on the bare feet! Haha!

I don't remember the brand of carpet I got but it was thicker then standard. It makes the hatches hard to open at times but not to bad.
If I were to do it over again I would add the anti-fatigue padding under the carpet on the front deck, like the newer boats have. Similar to https://www.protechmats.com/

Derek,

Great info, so appreciate all the posts! Quick question: I have an '89 Tracker and I'm staring at the riveted maze that is the rear deck and wondering how much trouble it is to get out. I'm concerned I have drainage issues under the rear deck due to foam blocking channels as others have suggested. Any words of wisdom on how to efficiently get access to the floor under the rear deck by taking as little apart as possible? I notice some of the pieces are riveted to the side of the boat also.

Thanks,
Rob

Rob unfortunately there isn't really a short cut. To get to the foam underneath you really have to take it all apart. Seating area and livewell can stay but otherwise its all holding down the floor of the battery/gas compartment

Latest posts