Lowe 1467 project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

answer3

Reaction score
Hi
I just got back home today with my first boat! This is a Lowe 1467 v hull with a new 9.9hp mercury outboard.
I have been fishing for 2 years from a canoe so this is going to be a nice improvement. My plan is to add a nice deck I can use to fish from the bow when I am alone with a high seat and bow trolling motor or remove the seat and put cushions when I have other people on the boat with me. I also plan to add a floor and some storage space on the sides after removing the middle seat, as well as rod holders + downriggers and probably a livewell. Some work to do! I have been looking at the forum here for several months and found some ideas here and there that I will try to do on my boat, so I thought I could start a thread where I will post the various steps of the project and hopefully get some insights from you guys as well.
Here are a few pictures of the boat right now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 2,228
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 2,228
The first thing I will do is clean all the interior as the boat has been sitting outside for a while then get rid of the big electrical cables on the sides that are attached with small bolts through the hull and put rivets with 5200 marine sealant to have the rivets watertight. Before I start that I was looking at a few things in the boat and I would like to have your opinion of what they are exactly.
The first is a kind of big electrical switch that has apparently 3 positions and off position. It looks heavy duty so I should probably keep it, but I don't really what it is primarly used for (picture below). Is it to switch between 2 batteries as a power source? My outboard is a pull start so I won't need it to start the engine. I have 2 batteries though, one that I had earlier and the one that came with the boat. How many batteries do you guys use in your boats? Having a second battery is probably useful when the 1st one is empty if I go for a whole weekend camping and boating, but is it too heavy in the boat?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 2,164
Also the paint on the outside is quite good so I would prefer to keep it and avoid the hassle of scraping it off, but there is a dirty yellow mark that probably comes from the water line all around the boat (see picture). Is there any "magic" product I could use to remove this water mark and keep the underneath paint intact?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 2,164
My guess is that it's a switch for a 12 volt trolling motor. They had 2 batteries and could switch when 1 went dead to the other.

step one of removing watermarks done. Half a bottle of cillit bang, some elbow grease and it's all clean!
It is much harder to remove the yellow marks on the bare aluminum compared to on the paint. Do you guys know a product that I could use of the aluminum? I tried toilet cleaning products that I saw some other people using for this application but is was less efficient than the cillit bang.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 2,129
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 2,130
slick said:
My guess is that it's a switch for a 12 volt trolling motor. They had 2 batteries and could switch when 1 went dead to the other.

Thanks slick. Did you ever try 2 batteries on your boat? Isn't it too heavy?

Not yet.
I have a 17 1/2' Lund deep v. 1971 vintage.
I'm looking to buy a 24 volt 80# TM.

Two batteries will be fine on a boat that big. You might want to move one up front for better weight distribution. But I'd try them both in the back first.

I used sos pads on my aluminum. Shines like new now. Mine was real old and dull. So I washed the soap out of the first few pads to make them more abrasive and then worked with new pads to finish shining it up.
your boat isn't as old as mine so the aumnuim might be softer. Try a small spot and make sure it doesn't leave fine scratches.

Now that you have it back white. Bleach works great to get new water lines off. Usually I can spray it on and just hose the oily mud lines rite off. Doesn't hurt the paint as I also do my commercial white vans. :mrgreen:

Nice ride by the way!

Framing for the front deck done. Aluminum tubes a piece of thich high density plastic to prevent tubing from damaging the hull at the tip of the structure. I will put 2 batteries underneath and a 3/4" plywood sealed and covered with outdoor carpet.
Do I need to but marine grade plywood or is a regular home depot plywood sealed with epoxy or fiberglass is sufficient?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 2,020
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 2,020
Moved a bit further, the front deck and storage openings are now done. Sealed the wood with epoxy, now I need to add the carpet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,917
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,915
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,916
working now on the floor. The middle seat is gone and I used a ladder to support the floor. Next step is adding the foam and building the side storage compartments

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,920
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,918
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,921
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,920
Cool What are you going to put in the center a live well or something?

Cool What are you going to put in the center a live well or something?

If I can put enough foam under the floor yes I will put a livewell in the front seat, otherwise will probably put it just in behind the seat and cover the seat with carpet to extend the deck

Latest posts