GoPro Camera - life expectancy ??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crazymanme2 said:
I see they are having a presale for the SJ5000 for $90.

That one is most likely a fake. SJcam is the namebrand that is trademarked for these cameras. There have been alot of "fake" SJ4000 and SJ5000. Since that is not trademarked I guess it's perfectly legal to put SJ4000 or SJ5000 on an action camera and sell it. They are even on Amazon. But all you have to do is make sureit is the SJCAM brand and all is good.

BigTerp said:
crazymanme2 said:

That one is most likely a fake. SJcam is the namebrand that is trademarked for these cameras. There have been alot of "fake" SJ4000 and SJ5000. Since that is not trademarked I guess it's perfectly legal to put SJ4000 or SJ5000 on an action camera and sell it. They are even on Amazon. But all you have to do is make sureit is the SJCAM brand and all is good.

That is not the only fake camera on Amazon or E-bay. I bought a dash camera for my truck about 2 years ago for about $100.00. It works perfect. I have recently seen some on the sites going for less than $15.00 and figured I would buy another one since the price has dropped so dramatically. It looks almost identical to my first one BUT the video makes it look like you have tunnel vision. Stopped at a traffic light you can not see the traffic light to tell whether it is red or green. You can not read the license plate on the vehicle in front of you. I guess the saying is true, "You get what you pay for".

KMixson said:
BigTerp said:
crazymanme2 said:

That is not the only fake camera on Amazon or E-bay. I bought a dash camera for my truck about 2 years ago for about $100.00. It works perfect. I have recently seen some on the sites going for less than $15.00 and figured I would buy another one since the price has dropped so dramatically. It looks almost identical to my first one BUT the video makes it look like you have tunnel vision. Stopped at a traffic light you can not see the traffic light to tell whether it is red or green. You can not read the license plate on the vehicle in front of you. I guess the saying is true, "You get what you pay for".

Yeah, it's crazy what you can legally get away with with this sort of stuff.

Oh, and FWIW I have a mount in my truck to use my SJ4000 as a dash cam. Works great. Have it running everytime I'm in my truck. Nothing interesting so far though.

Here are some DIY mounts I've made. Pretty easy stuff to do. All you need is a 1/4"-20 nut and bolt.

From left to right....large clip mount, small clip mount, magnetic mount, kitchen timer time lapse mount and suction cup mount. Tripod in the back is obviously not DIY but really handy. Just a few bucks from Amazon.

IMG_20150111_151049_zpsliqhvtqj.jpg

For what it's worth, GoPro now has their "economy" model simply called the Hero for $129.99 now, but it doesn't have wifi like the SJ4000 does for what, $99? I personally have 2 Hero 3 blacks and they are great. I will eventually add to my collection of GoPro products, probably with either a 3+ Silver or the new 4 silver. I've used one of them for everything from action shots while fishing to mounting it to an RC car and even snow tubing with my kids. So far I haven't broken one, but the GoPro brand batteries leave a bit to be desired.

Jim,

The SJ5000+ is now available from Amazon. It uses the same chip/processor as the GoPro 3 Black.

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Sj5000-Sports-Resistant-Camcorder/dp/B00SF8YDRU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427890749&sr=8-1&keywords=sjcam+sj5000+plus

I still think overall a GoPro is a nicer camera than the SJCam, at least nicer than my SJ4000. I haven't had hands on with the SJ5000+ yet though. But for the price and an action camera that I know I'll be hard on, I can't complain one bit about my SJ4000. I plan to pick up a 5000+ at some point, just have too many other hobbies that lighten my wallet right now!!!

BigTerp said:
Jim,

The SJ5000+ is now available from Amazon. It uses the same chip/processor as the GoPro 3 Black.

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Sj5000-Sports-Resistant-Camcorder/dp/B00SF8YDRU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427890749&sr=8-1&keywords=sjcam+sj5000+plus

I still think overall a GoPro is a nicer camera than the SJCam, at least nicer than my SJ4000. I haven't had hands on with the SJ5000+ yet though. But for the price and an action camera that I know I'll be hard on, I can't complain one bit about my SJ4000. I plan to pick up a 5000+ at some point, just have too many other hobbies that lighten my wallet right now!!!

I sent him the link, I am hoping to convince him to go this route. :lol:

Jim said:
BigTerp said:
Jim,

HA!!!

I love filming with my GoPro.

Best thing I ever did was buy a skeleton case and a battery eliminator (see link for eliminator).

https://www.amazon.com/Switronix-DV...2938&sr=8-1&keywords=gopro+battery+eliminator

It allows me to use an auxiliary battery pack. I can get about 12 hours of run time out of a $15 rechargeable battery pack, or unlimited time if you plug it into a wall, car outlet, etc. I actually installed a USB port in my boat that connects to my batteries so I can just plug the camera in and record all day. It's sooooo nice not to worry about changing batteries and all that crap.

When I go fishing, I turn the camera on, set it to a 5 minute loop and let it run all day. If something exciting happens, I hit the button to lock in only the last 5 minutes and the loop starts over. The camera can run all day and not fill up the card, capturing only the exciting stuff like catching a fish.

I also got the flexible clamp mount, which is worth its weight in gold.

MrSimon said:
I love filming with my GoPro.

Best thing I ever did was buy a skeleton case and a battery eliminator (see link for eliminator).

https://www.amazon.com/Switronix-DV...2938&sr=8-1&keywords=gopro+battery+eliminator

It allows me to use an auxiliary battery pack. I can get about 12 hours of run time out of a $15 rechargeable battery pack, or unlimited time if you plug it into a wall, car outlet, etc. I actually installed a USB port in my boat that connects to my batteries so I can just plug the camera in and record all day. It's sooooo nice not to worry about changing batteries and all that crap.

When I go fishing, I turn the camera on, set it to a 5 minute loop and let it run all day. If something exciting happens, I hit the button to lock in only the last 5 minutes and the loop starts over. The camera can run all day and not fill up the card, capturing only the exciting stuff like catching a fish.

I also got the flexible clamp mount, which is worth its weight in gold.

GREAT ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Jim said:
BigTerp said:
Jim,

Did you ever get anything for him? Hunting season is fast approaching and I'm considering getting a second camera.

Latest posts