painting inside boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joho5

Reaction score
when you guys paint the interior of your alum boat, do you use a brush? Or spray?

thanks

depends on you - - - do you have the time to brush it on ?
How are your brush skills ? Have you ever painted anything before ?
How much area are you talking about ?? 10' Jon boat or 20 footer ???
Do you have a blank hull inside ? or already have flooring, carpet, seats, etc etc etc.
I have done all three.
brush when I have the time and it is small area.
roller it out on large areas, touch up with the brush.
quick n easy: Wagner Power Sprayer if you have one.
and believe it or not, I have used a pump-up garden sprayer !!!
Using latex paint, thin it down quite a bit, strain it through a fine mesh paint strainer.
Pump up and spray. Address the runs with a brush.
Seven Bucks at most hardware stores. 1-1/2 quart capacity.

If you prefer to use oil base paint, just throw it away after use.

Attachments

• sprayer.jpg
    sprayer.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 797
I have used brush and roller, as well as spray-on. Both worked fine for my purposes; brush better for larger areas and spray better for really tight places. One recommendation: avoid gloss finishes if you are concerned about surface imperfections or about it getting scuffed up in use.

If you have an air compressor, an HVLP spray gun makes quick work of painting a boat. Also puts a nice even coat on. My buddy picked one up of Harbor Freight for less than $50 for a few projects he was working on and let me use it for my boat. Made the job simple.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-pc-professional-automotive-hvlp-air-spray-gun-kit-61472.html

I used a HVLP sprayer for mine, since I already have a compressor. I have used a roller or a brush as well. Google "roll and tip" painting if you don't want to spray. You can get a pretty good finish this way, even on glossier finishes.

Latest posts