Transducer Rooster Tail

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moloch16

Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with the newer fish finders and their very large transducers kicking up a rooster tail when planing, giving you a good soaking?

I had an older Garmin that had a large transducer that did this, switched to a Lowrance with smaller transducer and no more rooster tail.

I want to upgrade to a newer unit with GPS/DI but the large transducers remind me of that rooster tail.

I found a post that said that when this happens it means the transducer was installed too low.

Just want to get some opinions before I drop $$$. I have a 14' Lowe Rover Jon.

Thanks!

I have a Lowrance Elite-7HDI with the big dinner plate transducer. I notice sometimes it kicks up a rooster tail, but it usually happens only when I get some grass or junk wrapped around it while idling. Mine actually sits below the bottom of the transom. It looks like it would make a a hell of a rooster tail, but after adjusting it I find it reads the bottom very well at speed and no rooster tail.

Is there a gap between the transducer and the transom? If there is close that gap by wrapping tape around it or put a small piece of pool noodle foam in there to plug the hole and that rooster tail will go away.

Latest posts