CL find and need help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallyTinJB

Reaction score
Hello....just want to start off thanking everyone for sharing their knowledge and experiences here on the forum. It has been an invaluable source of information, especially for someone like myself who has very very little of both. I recently bought this boat on craigslist and at first just plan on using it as is, meaning no deck yet. I'm trying to keep the budget low and within the hubby's approval :D My/our experience with motors...basically none. We do have a bigger boat (Mako 17ft skiff), but I want something that I can take out on the local lakes/rivers by myself. He doesn't like freshwater and I get off work early enough in the day to hit the water for a few hours.

boat1.jpg

Got a few questions based on what I've read in the forums. The trailer is a jet ski mod and I think the bunks are too short - they stop right around where the guide post is. We are planning on getting longer bunks and either carpeting or trying the plastic fence post covers.

boat%20on%20trailer1.jpg

The winch...as you can see the handle hits the front of the boat. Suggestions?

trailer%20winch1.jpg

The transom...didn't notice this until we got it home. The brace is torn. The previous owner said he had a 15hp on it and we wondering if that weight combined with the 'too short' bunks may have contributed to this. Should we try to get this welded? A coworkers husbands welds but that would mean driving an hour away and paying $50/hr. Suggestions?

transom%20brace1.jpg

The right bow has some discoloration...moisture? I don't see any holes or anything and I just read another thread where the poster found it was waterlogged foam. The only holes I could find on the front bench are screw holes where something was screwed onto it. I definitely see how water could get in. The front of the boat doesn't seem to overly heavy or noticeable.

front%20right%20bow1.jpg

Last pic...back of boat seems to be ok. I was thinking of trying to put some varnish on the transom wood (in and out) to help protect it some more.

stern%20shot1.jpg

Last topic for opinions....what size motor? As I mentioned, we are not mechanically inclined so I'm planning on getting a new motor so we have a 3 yr warranty. We have a Bass Pro within spitting distance and they have been super supportive with our other boat. That way the hubby feels better knowing that I have a newer engine that hopefully won't have issues. He's also pushing an electric start which adds app. $350 to the price....so max would be a 9.9 Merc 4 stroke, but I'd also like to get a small trolling motor so I'd like to keep the price down. I'm thinking a 5hp with electric...in other words, electric vs horsepower. Most of my time out will be myself and at max with one other adult.

I greatly appreciate any suggestions you have! I've been lurking here for the past month trying to research and now that I've pulled the trigger on the boat/trailer, I'm cautious to move forward until I figure out what I need to do....the wants can come later.

Thanks!

Hi and welcome.
Can you move the winch post forward enough to get the transom on the bunks?
The winch handle issue can be fixed by making the bow stop thicker.
The transom knee should be welded, 15 hp motor shouldn't be too much weight unless the transom wood has weakened?
Try cleaning off the moist area with alcohol. You will need to put a few inches of water in the boat to find any loose rivets and cracked welds.
Spar varnish is good to seal the wood as long as the wood is sound.

The bunks should stick out past the back of the boat an inch or two. If the winch post can not be moved forward, you will probably need to make longer bunks. The front stop needs to be raised a hole or two and then make the front stop thicker as already mentioned. I wouldn't do anything less than welding on that transom brace. Use the point of a screwdriver and poke around the transom wood to see if it's soft anywhere. If it's solid, give it a coat of paint, or varnish, or both. I wouldn't go less than a 9.9 but would try for a 15 for the motor. Don't know how far you travel from the dock but you may have company some day and need to make a run for the dock because of weather or an emergency. And you may want to have 3 people or more cargo some times in the future.

Oops, Welcome to the forum.

:WELCOME:

In my world, I would do the trailer bunks first. Flat boards covered with carpet.
Then, after the boat is stabilized on the trailer, address the front end issues.
to suit your needs. Working from back to front.

as for the broken knee brace, if welding is not an option, try to hammer it back
into position, get a piece of aluminum angle the size you need, smooth off the
sharp edges, remove the bolts that go through the transom, drill holes in the
aluminum angle and bolt the scab brace into position with 1/4-20 stainless bolts.
jeezee-beezee up and easy.

Attachments

• knee brace.png
    knee brace.png
    234.6 KB · Views: 784
Thanks guys...I really appreciate your input. I'm going to take it to a welder Thursday/Friday to see what they say...hopefully an easy job with worse case scenario of app. $110 due. I'm going to mention the angle brace that was mentioned to the hubby, but he's not real thrilled about drilling more holes into the boat. Going to work on the bunks this weekend and then see what we can do about the winch hitting the bow.

Thanks again!

If you and your husband can bend the transom brace back together so the crack is minimal and then brush the paint off of the bracket in the area that needs to be welded, it should help with cost. Doing this prep work instead of making the welder do it, means less of his time spent and the less he charges you. If you do decide to do this, use a stainless steel brush.

You should be able to remove that top bolt and bend it back pretty easy. Once it's been welded you can try to pull the transom up to the brace and then bolt it or just install the bolt and pull them together. I'd suggest you try pulling the transom back up to the brace though.

Latest posts