Battery Local

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenchicken

Reaction score
IN the back of my 14 foot alum craft v-hull I have the outboard motor, the gas tank, two batteries, and me. Even with an adult in the front I am riding uncomfortably low. When I have to reverse water starts rolling in.

So I am thinking I should move my two batteries to the front. It's the only thing of weight that can move.

First off opinions on the plan.
Secondly recommendations for cable. I will need about 30 feet of cable.

What else can you do? Besides a different boat with a 20 inch transom.

Putting the beer up front might help, probably weighs more than the batteries. :p

Tim

I have a similar situation, battery is up front, and I place the fuel tank near middle of boat. Works OK for me. Another option would be to look into transom splash guards like this https://www.wavewackers.com to keep you dry. I am considering making my own splash guards, motor kicks up a bit of water that finds it's way into boat.

Regards

Batteries up front should definitely help. I have 2 group 27 batteries under my bow deck and a 2 gallon spare gas can and 6 gallon gas tank in the back of my 1648. I have a stick steer setup though where the captains seat is about where a middle bench seat would be. With a passenger in the back seat it rides perfect. With just me it's slightly nose heavy.

Can anyone give me a link for 20 feet of right battery cable? Looking on line and not sure which is best and it's too expensive to get wrong.

Genuinedealz is cheap and free shipping. Youll have to calculate you amp draw and cable length to determine the size cable. I believe they have a calculator on the website too.

I got all my wire and heat shrink connectors for my boat from here.

https://tinnedmarinewire.com/wire/

Not sure how it compares price wise to other places, but it is high quality tinned marine wire. Something I didn't want to skimp on.

Your manual should tell you what size wire you need for your motor and the maximum length you can run it. I would suggest you get dedicated marine battery cable with tinned marine lugs for your motor. IIRC, my motor (1994 Johnson 50/35) called for 4 AWG size wire and I have about a 12' run of it up to my battery.

If your manual doesn't tell you what size wire you need, here is a chart that may help.

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Marine-Wire-Size-And-Ampacity

Thanks, I wish I had enough electrical knowledge to use those charts. I have a Susuki 9.9 4 stroke I sure if I give them a call they can advise me.

I would use 6 gauge wire for such a long run. Even though it's only a 9.9, there will be a lot of resistance in that long of a run. 6 gauge might be a tad bit overkill, but the next size down is 8 and that definitely won't get the job done.

I called Susuki and then told me to use 2 gauge. I am sure they are just playing it super safe but my estimated cost for 2 gauge is about $60 so might as well do what the MFG says.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Latest posts